University Web Developers

University Web Developers

At a recent conference, the pro's and con's of fixed, liquid, and elastic layout was the topic of a lively debate. I'm interested on what the uwebd members think, along with any good references. Here are a couple references I have:

In Search of the Holy Grail

About fluid and fixed width layouts

Fixed Versus Liquid: The Beat(ing) Goes On

Views: 1415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a fun one: CSS Layout Techniques (glish.com)

In my opinion, it's not really about choosing one. I think each has its benefits. As long as it is compliant with coding standards, use which ever layout best suits the needs of the site and its audience.
I like Molly's answer - "it depends" ;) I don't see how you can take a stand without taking the rest of the design into consideration. I tend to prefer a stretchy layout with a max-width and min-width set, especially since IE6 use is declining. But I've made fixed-width sites because it made sense with that particular site & design.

I remember reading that the site visitor tends to prefer dynamic layout (but I can't remember where). Graphic designers prefer the static width because it doesn't take so much effort to design for something that stays the same size all the time.
Depends :)
You'll need to analize your Information Architeture and users.
I go back and forth on this issue. We use a fixed width at case.edu because:

1) Liquid is more complicated and we distribute templated designs to users of varying skills who might easily break a liquid layout. (They're actually regular HTML files rather than Dreamweaver templates.)

2) We want to ensure our maintainers don't build pages with line lengths that are too long and thus harder to read.

3) We try to limit the space available because people have a tendency of filling up whatever space is available. If they have large monitors they could really overcrowd a page not realize how messy it gets on smaller displays.

As you can see the bulk of these issues relate to the fact that our sites are distributed and build and maintained by people of varying skill levels. If I were working on one site alone and I was doing the coding then I'd base the decision on goals, content, etc.
If the site will be better in liquid layout, I do it...
If the site will be better in static layout, I do it...
I spend more time to do a liquid layout, but it is necessary sometimes. The studies of architeture information and users decides what I will do.
I'm really hot on base line grid design these days (maybe too much) but fluid width site design pretty much rules that out. The other issue I have with purely fluid design is that it tends to not look so good on my really gargantuan monitors :) But like others have said, it really all depends.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Sara Arnold commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"How do you get all the help your web team needs without taking a bite out of the budget? We've got the answer in today's blog post!!​​"
Wednesday
Profile IconCraig Koebelin and Evan Starr joined University Web Developers
Wednesday
"Learn why Hope College switched from open source Drupal to OU Campus to manage its website in our new case study! "
Monday
Ronny Murahwa is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 21
"Check out today's blog post for tips on how to structure your institution's website content based on student interests! "
Apr 20
"Ready to optimize your website visitors' search experience? Tune in this Friday to Higher Ed Live at 1PM ET and get tips on how it’s done from Utah Valley University and Oklahoma City Community College. "
Apr 20
"Get your 2016 Gadget Challenge idea submitted for a chance to win free registration to #OUTC17! "
Apr 19
"There’s no better time to shine than at NCMPR’s 2017 national conference in Charleston, SC! Submit your proposal by May 2 for your chance to present. "
Apr 15
Kevin Kinder commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Learn about the website transformation that got University of North Carolina School of the Arts nominated for a Webby Award in our latest blog post!"
Apr 13
"Let’s show support for our fellow OmniUpdate community member and vote for University of North Carolina School of the Arts in The Webby Awards. Their site is stunning!"
Apr 12
"Does your site look stunning on desktop, but takes eons to load on mobile? Tarrant County College’s Stephen Fornal has the fix in Community college week!"
Apr 7
"Don’t play catch-up! It’s critical to focus on your web presence now rather than later. Why? Get the scoop on our blog."
Apr 6
"Introducing Module Monday, where every first Monday of the month one of our modules will be featured. Check out this month's module! "
Apr 6
"CCCU’s 2016 Commission on Technology Conference is going to be simply amazing... Don’t miss your chance to present! Proposals due 4/15."
Apr 6
"The deadline to speak at AMA’s Symposium for the Marketing of Higher Education in Orlando, FL is fast-approaching! Submit your proposal by 4/15."
Apr 4
"Find out what it means to “design with a crystal ball” when building a website from the ground up in our new blog post!"
Mar 31
"Welcome aboard Midland College! We are pleased to have you as part of the OmniUpdate family. "
Mar 29
John Richardson is now a member of University Web Developers
Mar 29
Brad James joined Mark Greenfield's group
Mar 28
Jeffrey Garner left a comment for Lacy Paschal
"Thanks for feedback."
Mar 28

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2016   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service