University Web Developers

University Web Developers

I'd love to get feedback on how control of your organization's web site is set up. We have a kind of wild west thing going on where Marketing controls some pages, departments control some others and their own pages, and IT makes the decision on everything else. How is look and feel, security, web policies, etc. controlled and enforced at your university?

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The answer to these questions will correlate with the size of your institution. We are a large research university with hundreds of web developers across campus. Our External Affairs office is responsible for the top level pages and after that each department is responsible for their own site. We literally have millions of pages and trying to control these centrally just wouldn't work.
Thanks for your reply. It works a lot like ours so I would expect we're close in size. Do you try to enforce web policies or just put them out as guidelines?
At Cazenovia, I am part of the Communications Department. The public site is largely under my control and my Director, and our Editor, graphic design is handled by our Art Director and Designer who are also part of the Communications Department. We have about 25 web editors across campus in various departments. IT mainly controls our Intranet sites and develops modules for our public site as needed.
Clemson University also has a wild west thing going on, but we've been trying to lasso the rogue pages for over 2 years now. Our Office of Web Services is in Advancement, and we are responsible for our "top level marketing pages" (the gateway pages that serve audiences who influence the US News and World Report voters). We are currently helping our colleges develop their new gateway pages and then the individual departments within the colleges will use our recommended site structure to build and maintain their pages. We deployed a Web CMS that has helped us with branding consistency. Security is controlled by our central IT group. Our Web policies have been created by our office, but they are more like guidelines than policies because we don't really have any governing authority over our Web.
Our Office of Communications and Marketing (where I work) controls the top level website at Georgia Tech. We provide branding resources (templates) to any organization on campus that wants to use them. We have plans for developing a turn-key CMS solution for individual units in the future. We also will do work for organizations at different levels, from a college to a small research unit, for custom solutions but at a cost to them.
At Waterloo (at the moment) Communications and Public Affairs has some control over top-level communications sites, Undergrad Recruitment has control over their own marketing sites, and a committee tries to 'wrangle the cats' as it were with the hundreds of other sites on campus. Each area is responsible for their own thing.

There is a sorta partnership that has kept things moving since I left the job as Manager of Web Communications and went over to the Special Projects Group but there is still a debate between the needs of supporting the creators of content and the needs of those looking for content. In a general sense Waterloo is lead (as in weighted down) by the need to support the creators of content. IT chairs the committees, Communications and marketing interests are trying to carve out control over the 'look' but the campus as a whole still makes decisions on their own sites.

I would say as an institution we still have no idea how 'control' works but all the committee stuff and trying to balance IT with marketing needs just hasn't worked (for last 9 years, it worked in the beginning). The same mistakes tend to repeat themselves due to turn over of web staff and/or senior decision makers. This isn't an entirely bad but I think the problem is that as an institution there is little recognition that a 'web professional' exists and their talents are needed. The real problem isn't about control its about ensuring that a certain level of quality exists. That takes some investment in resources.

I think the question of "who controls your web site" has been such a long standing one for all higher education institutions... the answers I have seen in medium to large institutions requires a Director level position with a strong team that is staffed like a solid web dev/marketing shop.
Hate to dig up an old thread but I figured it was better than starting a new one, since Aaron's situation so closely resembles our current predicament ("wild west" is a perfect description).

I'm currently trying to find information that would support our push to give my dept. (Marketing Communications) the power to enforce some standards (usability, consistency, security, accessibility, etc.) even on sites built by other departments. We currently have one full-time web developer/designer (me) and some student web developers; we're also likely to add a second full-time web person soon.

We're a college within a larger university, but we're also a federally funded, semi-independent institute with our own admissions, alumni relations, development, etc... so we have almost as much to do on the Web as a small university.

Anyone have any studies, data, whatever I could use to help bolster our case that a) there should be some centralization and b) it should be led by Marketing rather than IT?
At UCR our Office of Strategic Communications controls the umbrella website (ucr.edu). We are in charge of developing and maintaining the web brand, we offer our services to the different schools and are trying really hard to make them work with us so we develop their site and once delivered their teams can take over updates and maintaining. We provide flexible templates with the university branding thought our campus CMS for any one in campus; from schools to departments.

Now, within our office, who controls the main site? Too many people. Marketing department, media relations department, personal political agendas, faculty annoying requests and anybody who knows how to send an email to our director complaining about something they don't like. Sorry I had to say it :)
We have "content editors" within each Cabinet-level unit at the College. Those content editors act as gatekeepers and proofreaders for their unit. They review and proofread the content, then send it onto the webmaster e-mail account. The changes are then made by either my assistant or me.

I hold regular meetings (every other month) with the content editors to go over new items, offer some training and get feedback on improving the process.

Eventually, we will most likely allow them to make their own updates through the CMS, but I haven't developed robust enough user permissions within the CMS, yet. Until then, just my assistant and I are responsible for actually committing the updates to the Web site.

We, however, are a small school, so it makes sense to do things that way.

EDIT - Oh, I forgot to mention that my position is housed within the Office of College Advancement (AKA institutional advancement or advertising/marketing).
If you'd asked this question a few years ago, I wonder if a lot of the responses would be "IT." Where the responsibility resides says a lot, I suspect, about the recognition (or lack of it) of the web's importance to the school's mission.

It probably matters how you ask the question. You might ask, "Who controls the home page?" or "Where in the org chart does responsibility for the web mainly sit?" Are you talking about the public-facing web site or a school-wide intranet, and are they integrated with each other at your school or separate? I'm also curious how this responsibility for the "web site" is getting diffused as the concept of web presence grows way beyond the home page and the main web site to many different social media networks.

Aaron's post really made me wonder what the pattern of responses would show. I posted it here on my profile and also on my recently debuted blog.
We have a three-person web services team that supports the departmental webmasters with handling rich media, custom programming, and all other advanced webmastering topics. Most of our departments have one assigned person to manage web content in the CMS. They are given permission to create/edit/delete files within their area.

Look and feel is controlled by our Creative and Print Services division. All design, print or web, goes thru them first for approval. Then it comes to us for the build-out.

Web policies are discussed and set by the Web Implementation Group, a cross-section of web authors from across the campus.
Well, I'd like to know. Where are you now?Still wild?

We are among the smaller institutions in size. We have one web content manager (under office of communications/advancement) responsible for most of what happens on (or to) the public site. Design/graphics support comes from a single (but not dedicated to web) graphics designer. IT supports the server, CMS, security, and bit of development. Content contributors are otherwise distributed among academic departments and offices.

From a practical perspective, we have similar issues and contentions like what Luis and Curtiss have described.

We've been working on web governance (ownership and policies).

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Profile IconJulia Easton and KATE KWAME joined University Web Developers
Friday
Bill Hartley posted a discussion

Job Interview Presentation Ideas

Has anyone ever asked job candidates to do a presentation as part of the interview process? We're in the process of searching for a web director, and are looking for some ideas.See More
Oct 6
Gabriel Nagmay is now a member of University Web Developers
Oct 3
Bill Hartley posted discussions
Oct 2
Geoffrey Campbell is now a member of University Web Developers
Sep 27
Colleen Brennan-Barry posted a discussion

NOW HIRING: Operations Director

Position Title:Operations Director of the Higher Education Web Professionals Association Position Overview:Reporting to the President of the Higher Education Web Professionals Association (www.highedweb.org), the Operations Director is responsible for coordinating the day-to-day operations of the Association and its volunteers. The Operations Director will work with the Board of Directors to facilitate the implementation of a strategic plan, and lay the…See More
Sep 18
Lauren Zakich commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Upcoming webcast: Join Robin Kelly from the University of Texas at Tyler as she shares tips and tricks to improve productivity as a web professional. Register today!"
Sep 11
Eloine Chapman replied to Eloine Chapman's discussion Should we migrate to https?
"Thanks Barb!"
Sep 1
Eloine Chapman replied to Eloine Chapman's discussion Should we migrate to https?
"Thanks Jason!"
Sep 1
Elizabeth Hyde-Copeland is now a member of University Web Developers
Aug 30
Gavin Younger is now a member of University Web Developers
Aug 24
"Our 2018 OmniUpdate User Training Conference will be held in Anaheim on March 25 - 29! Speak at OUTC and you could receive free registration. Submit your proposal today!"
Aug 18
Jason Brady replied to Eloine Chapman's discussion Should we migrate to https?
"We have started the move to make all our sites HTTPS. With our InCommon membership (paid by our State Chancellor's Ofice), we get free certificates, so there is no ongoing costs. In 2014, Google said they give some SEO bumps to HTTPS sites.…"
Aug 18
Profile IconMichael Harvey, Bill Hartley and Jeff Dobbin joined University Web Developers
Aug 18
Barb Iannucci replied to Eloine Chapman's discussion Should we migrate to https?
"Yep, I got the same messages. Some of our sites use SSL and we've been talking about migrating all the rest our sites for a while now. I suspect we will be doing it rather than just talking about it sooner rather than later now. :\"
Aug 18
Eloine Chapman posted a discussion

Should we migrate to https?

I recently got a notice from Google that in October 2017 Chrome V62 with show the warning "NOT SECURE" on all our web pages we have a input field for search. Since on most of our pages there is nothing that would require secure information I've never felt the need for HTTPS. Our class registration pages are secure but not the general information pages. The warning is going to scare people though. Are others upgrading their websites?See More
Aug 17
Colleen Brennan-Barry posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2017 Early-Bird Pricing available through July 31

It’s the last week get HighEdWeb 2017 early-bird registration pricing! When you register for the Annual Conference by the end of Monday, July 31, you save $100 — and who doesn’t love that?!Register by July 31 to save $100…See More
Jul 25
"Upcoming webcast: Join Angela Cavaliere from Montgomery County Community College as she demonstrates how to perform user testing to improve overall web experience. Register today!"
Jul 12
Michael E Matzkin joined Mark Greenfield's group
Thumbnail

WordPress

This group is for all those using WordPress as both a blogging platform and as a CMS
Jul 10
Dan Bashaw commented on Mark Greenfield's group WordPress
"Hi Samuel – WordPress will be a good choice for this kind of project. Can you let us know more about what features you are thinking of adding? It seems to me that a combination of a WordPress site and tightly integrated social media channels…"
Jun 29

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2017   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service