University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Compliant filed against Penn State regarding web accessibility

I wanted to share this, since accessibility is the big topic lately. Read the article (with link to complaint) over at the NFB site.

But, I also ride the rail on this stuff. I am always bothered by the way groups go about this, for example:
"The number and scope of the accessibility problems at Penn State demonstrate the institution’s blatant—and unlawful—lack of regard for the equal education of its blind students and failure to accommodate its
blind faculty members and employees."

No, that's not what it demonstrates. It demonstrates how effing hard it is to make stuff "universally" accessible. They say it like Penn State is out to cut blind people off at the knees, no pun intended. No doubt some issues could be solved with a little consideration, but at the same time these groups need to understand how much effort it takes, and how we are equipped to deal with that.

Also:
"Penn State utilizes the ANGEL course management system.  ANGEL is an integral part of the learning and teaching experience at Penn State that allows students and professors to interact with each other online and
perform various course-related functions. This course management
software is almost completely inaccessible to blind users."

I find that interesting, since we use ANGEL, and I know it has a "508 mode." But, that's beside the point. I really think there's an important accessibility question the government needs to answer, and that's how far are we supposed to disadvantage everyone else for the sake of the special needs? Example: we stream commencement, as do many of you. But we will not be live captioning it. We're simply in no way equipped to do that. But why should we be expected to deny access to the service to everyone if we can't also offer it to an extremely small portion of our audience?

I'm not making excuses, as many will tell you I'm a HUGE #a11y proponent. Penn State likely took some shortcuts that they'll need to answer for. At the same time, I wish the other side had a bit more understanding. What do you think? Have you talked with your state officials at all about these kinds of issues? We are actively documenting our issues and what is being done to solve them (or in most cases, why we're not). Is "we don't have the resources to solve problems X, Y, and Z" a valid excuse? Should we all be shutting down our ANGELs and Blackboards? I think the obvious answer is no, but it would seem to be leaving us open for lawsuit, does it not?

Views: 1653

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If it possible to add a secondary style for mobile and one for print, can a style be applied for screen readers?

On some sites, there is the 'printable version' that filters out unnecessary content such as large images, menus and decorative features. Sometimes the print version parses content in a printer friendly version, which we all know differs from web friendly.

And some sites autodirect to a mobile version if they detect your access is coming from a handheld. I have no idea how this works but it does happen on my old Motorola web enabled cellphone.

Is it possible to consider those two situations and define something similar for screen readers? In other words, screen reader companies or accessibility advocates could develop some templates which could be added to a website to parse content in a suitable fashion for screen readers (like print version) and include a trigger that signals the site to deliver the screen reader version (like the m site trigger).
There are CSS media types for 'braille' and 'aural.' but the problem is that those are not universally supported, even among screen readers. And user agent detection of screen readers is even less effective than trying to do it for mobile devices.
Idea: Members of the web industry or organisations with a major web presence donate to develop or enhance a screen reader. Surely that would save us all a lot of effort (money) compared to having thousands (millions?) of web developers attempting to make content accessible.
The majority of screen readers are designed to not only make websites accessible, but the entire operating system, and therefore would be beyond the scope of just the web industry. However, many open source screen readers exist, as do many commercial screen readers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_screen_readers

A few years ago, the University of Washington did put out a web-based screen reader. It's still available to use at: http://webanywhere.cs.washington.edu/. It is also an open source project with code available at: http://code.google.com/p/webanywhere/
I can see your point, Michael. I tend to ride the fence a little bit on accessibility too. I agree that it's extremely important, and I also agree with Seth in that if you follow web standards and basic best practices you can do 80% of it right. With a llittle more awareness of that extra 20% and you could probably do even better.

What I do see happening here is that it's possible to get so focused on accessibility that it detracts from everything else. I think it's important to keep it in perspective. And that can be very hard to explain to people.

I haven't done any live accessibility testing myself (we're planning some tests on our new design after Christmas), but I think this would be the best way to find out which problems you really need to focus on.

Does anyone know more about what the problems were with Penn State's websites? Angel and the in-classroom stuff are obvious problems (we have Angel here as well). I'd be curious to know what was wrong with their Library website and the others cited.
I'm going to sound crass with my response. But the Internet is a visual experience. Taking an online course is a visual experience, not auditory. If they wish to take a course, they should take the in classroom version which is AUDITORY.

Should we eliminate the benefits of new technology so that the few aren't left behind? This is the reason why the United States is falling so quickly behind in education.

Will the NFB donate money to PSU to help? Or will they just keep feeding the coffers of Brown, Goldstein & Levy?? Hmmm I bet I know which road they'll take.

Yes, WHEN possible, a website should be made user friendly. However, certain web applications will not be friendly to blind people.

The NFB's own website is a perfect example of what you can do on the Internet for blind people. You can present information, but cannot be interactive. Therefore, should all Web Interactivity stop??
Seperation of content and presentation is good practice anyway. It pays dividends when the information needs to be repurposed for other formats such as mobile devices and new applications such as augmentmented reality. This gets us 80% of the way there for accessibility.
Making interactivity accessible is a challenge but I have had the priveledge of working with people who are good at this. Having the knowledge of accessible interactivity in advance of implementation can deliver good quality results without pushing the cost up significantly.
A current example is an interactive academic calendar using AJAX and jQuery which can be operated with standard browsers, has a good user experience on devices, and is accessible. I am fortunate to have some knowledgeable developers building this.
I had hoped to reply to this earlier last week, but I was attending a five-day class. As I read through the responses, I noticed the pattern of people replying about several issues:

1. limited resources
2. small number of people affected
3. citing Section 508 compliance
4. understanding of what it will take to make a website accessible

As web creatives, we are constantly asked/encouraged to stay on top of current methods. In the past 10 years, we've made the transition to web standards, live video streaming, podcasts, RIA and now for many, accessibility.

The most successful changes were made when the methods are incorporated into the projects from the beginning. Much like planning the information architecture of a website, making accessibility a part of the project at the start is key. It doesn't happen overnight, any more so than the transition from table-based code to web standards did.

Maybe that means the next college/university department site you'll be working on will be planned with accessibility in mind. Or perhaps it means time will be spent to make critical PDFs on the website accessible or that interactive calendar that only sighted visitors can use. Or you'll spend some time on the WebAIM website or mailing list learning about how to incorporate accessibility into your work.

Whatever steps are taken, it's a lot easier to manage the change on your timeline, and not one due to a complaint or lawsuit.

There's a great post by Tom Stewart this week, Five accessibility myths demolished, that does an excellent job of debunking accessibility misunderstandings.

On a personal note, last week I finished the online "Building Accessible Web Forms" class with Dr. Jon Gunderson from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Jon is past chairman of the WAI (Web Accessibility Initiative) for the W3C and well-respected for his accessibility knowledge and expertise.

I asked Jon how he would respond to the issues raised by many people on this thread regarding lack of resources, time, cost, etc. His response was something he heard from one of his developers who had started incorporating accessibility into his work:

"I create accessible code since it's the right thing to do, but I like creating accessible code because it's made me a better designer."
From what I have heard, the complaint against Penn State was a last resort and the accessibility concerns in State College are systemic in nature. Things will change; there are some folks passionate about accessibility on their campus. And they have the resources.

On our campus, we are taking a business process approach. We formalized a website accessibility policy in 2009 with the intent of raising general awareness and getting departments/colleges to build accessibility into their normal business process. Someone used the analogy of ramps and handrails in the built environment, which I think is apt. Once you make accessibility part of your process, the undue burden complaints will evaporate.

How far do you take it? Strict compliance suggests a lot of work (synchronized captioning, transcripts, supplementary audio information). But if you want to act within the spirit of accessibility, do what is right. Talk to people on your campus who use screen readers and ask questions. Have them test your websites, videos, products, etc. The answers are entirely contextual.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Sara Kisseberth posted a discussion

Archived magazine stories

Greetings,What are you all doing online with "old" magazine stories? Do you delete issues after so  many years? 5 years? 10? I'm torn between keeping all on for historical purposes or keeping just a few years online to simplify the site (ala Gerry McGovern.) Curious as to what you see best practices being.ThanksSara KisseberthBluffton Universitywww.bluffton.eduSee More
Jun 10
Erin Jorgensen posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2020 Accessibility Summit

The HighEdWeb 2020 Accessibility Summit is a one-day, online conference about digital accessibility in higher education happening June 25, 2020, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. CDT.Join in to learn best practices, share stories and connect with your higher ed peers on topics including social media accessibility, web development, user experience and more. Sessions are designed to boost knowledge at every level, from accessibility beginners to technical experts. Conference registration is $25, with…See More
May 29
Erin Jorgensen is now a member of University Web Developers
May 29
Christine Boehler posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2020 Annual Conference - ONLINE

October 19-20, 2020https://2020.highedweb.org/#HEWeb20     Join us ONLINE for HighEdWeb 2020, the conference created by and for higher education professionals across all departments and divisions. Together we explore and find solutions for the unique issues facing digital teams at colleges and universities. In 2020, the Conference will be held completely online, offering multiple tracks of streamed presentations, live…See More
May 3
Sara Arnold commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Throughout April, we're hosting webcasts exploring how colleges and universities across North America are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Register for the series today! https://bit.ly/2xsXhK9"
Apr 13
Christelle Lachapelle is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 6
"Download our latest white paper to learn how the demographics of today’s higher ed learners are shifting, and how schools can adapt to meet the needs of these new learners. https://bit.ly/2wTKdgB"
Mar 31
"Join our next webcast with Amrit Ahluwalia from The EvoLLLution to learn about the new "modern learner" in higher education. https://bit.ly/2UuDh2I"
Mar 30
"As we ride out the latest developments and impact of the coronavirus, there's no better time than now to learn the three Bs of crisis planning. http://bit.ly/2ITVkc2"
Mar 16
"Is your college or university prepared to meet the challenges that come with disasters and emergencies like the coronavirus? Learn how your CMS can help. http://bit.ly/2TUZUM8"
Mar 12
"Can’t afford the time and money to launch a comprehensive guided pathways model? Register for our FREE webcast to learn tricks for simulating a digital guided pathways experience."
Feb 21
"With college enrollment decreasing for the 8th year in a row, boosting your college or university marketing efforts is more important than ever. Here's how to get started. http://bit.ly/2vTQAzz"
Feb 20

HighEdWeb 2020 Annual Conference

October 18-21, 2020 in Little Rock, Arkansas, USAhttps://2020.highedweb.org/#HEWeb20     Join us for HighEdWeb 2020, the conference created by and for higher education professionals across all departments and divisions. Together we explore and find solutions for the unique issues facing digital teams at colleges and universities. With 100+ diverse sessions, an outstanding keynote presentation, intensive workshops, and engaging networking events,…See More
Feb 19

HighEdWeb 2020 Call for Proposals is Open!

The 2020 Annual Conference of the Higher Education Web Professionals Association (HighEdWeb) will travel to Little Rock, Arkansas, this October 18-21 — and the call for proposals is now open! As a digital professional in higher education, we know you have great ideas and experiences to share. From developers, marketers and programmers to managers, designers, writers and all team members in-between, HighEdWeb provides valuable professional development for all who want to explore the unique…See More
Feb 14
Christine Boehler shared Sara Clark's discussion on Facebook
Feb 14
Christine Boehler is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 14
Brian Bell joined Kevin Daum's group
Feb 14
Brian Bell joined Mark Greenfield's group
Feb 14
Kenneth George is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 13
John Sterni is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 6

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2020   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service