University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Our monthly parents newsletter is usually 3+ pages of copy so when it's translated into email and viewed on a mobile device it scrolls forever.  Has anyone developed any solutions to this dilemma or is it not really a problem?

I've tried to limit the copy but am told it's necessary.

I've contemplated setting up a blog and linking out to individual items but I'm personally frustrated when I have to go back and forth between my email and browser on a mobile device.

Tags: email, mobile, newsletter

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We've gone for simple, monthly, linking to the full article but include a short description so folks can choose what to read.  Perhaps a balance of what is included in full and what should really be a link to a page with more information?

http://alums.vassar.edu/publications/newsletter/

I encourage departments to post announcements/stories on their sites, then gather together the highlights together for a newsletter -- with links to the articles online, similar to how we do the alums newsletter.  A few really like having the newsletter packed with all the content, others link to a PDF.  It's a mixed bag.

I think it comes down to goals -- I like bringing folks into the site where they'll see more information than what we include in the newsletter.  And it's a bonus when we can learn about what interests folks when we check out analytics.

I agree with Megg. Short snippets/summaries that link to the full story.

I've struggled with the whole concept of a newsletter though. Do people really anticipate and read them anymore? Seems so old school. Unless people opt in and can choose what they want to hear about to make it personalized, it just seems like content that clogs inboxes. The only newsletters I've seen with decent open/click rates had lists that were opt in and very targeted.

We actually have a 45% open rate for the parents list which is opt-out.  It's the only communications about current happenings pushed to parents.  The parents website is kept very static and generic because it gets forgotten like most webpages (until we're alerted to a problem).

So you don't mind clicking back and forth between mobile email and browser client 12+ times (potentially)?  Each "story" is generally no more than 10-12 lines of info from various student affairs departments whereas the Vassar newsletter goes to vastly longer news stories.

No, I wouldn't like to bounce back and forth between mail and browser, but I would be very surprised if your readers were reading everything in either situation. If the full text is in the email, they're probably just scanning for what grabs their attention. Same thing if you have links to stories, there's probably only a few things that will interest them. At least that's what I tend to see in the 8 or so newsletters I help departments manage. But by linking to stories you'll give them a short, scannable email and have more data over time on what interests them.

You could try a few A/B tests with a new format and see how it performs.

I'd love to try A/B, unfortunately convincing the writer to produce 2 copies and getting a blog setup to host the material is considered a larger endeavor than it should be given the audience.

If only there were a means of hiding some lines within the email and providing a show more link as we can do in a normal browser with CSS.

Maybe you can do that for iOS and other mobile webkit clients (a majority of people seem to be reading email on phones these days), and then clunky old desktop clients (Outlook) would ignore it and show the full text. I've been able to do some mobile formatting by using media queries that are read by webkit devices and ignored by desktop clients.

I was hoping Mailchimp would offer those options but so far no luck.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Kevin Kinder commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Looking for ways to take alumni engagement to the next level? Learn how Stony Brook University did it in our latest blog post!"
14 hours ago
Sean Walsh posted a discussion

Turn your community college into an effective recruitment platform

The community college should no longer serve as a static information tool and instead should serve as a recruitment platform; one that sells your institution to its target audience. If your college is struggling to meet KPI goals and transform website visits into real life students then check out this webinar bit.ly/1Vv68Lv See More
Monday
"Your peers can't wait to present at #OUTC16! Read what they are most excited to share with you! "
Feb 3
"The OmniUpdate Customer Support Team is in the running for People’s Choice Stevie Awards in two categories! Voting ends Feb. 13 so cast your vote today! "
Feb 2
"Check out our latest blog post on web accessibility for ways to improve your school’s user experience! "
Feb 2
"Time is running out! Today is the last day to save $100 on your registration for #OUTC16. Register now! "
Feb 1
Eric Castillo is now a member of University Web Developers
Jan 29
"Prospective students are now taking action on your website from their phones! Optimize for mobile with these tips."
Jan 27
Profile IconTom McGee and Jason O'Connell joined University Web Developers
Jan 26
Profile IconOwen Savage, Jeremy Pieper and Waylon Baumgardner joined University Web Developers
Jan 25
Deb Withee replied to Deb Withee's discussion HubSpot
"I think I will need to post on the other uwebd listserv also."
Jan 22
Katelyn Colombo replied to Deb Withee's discussion HubSpot
"I'm very interested in this question as well--especially if any universities are using it for alumni communications."
Jan 22
Katelyn Colombo is now a member of University Web Developers
Jan 22
"Does your school’s website adapt to the resolution of all devices? Find out how media queries can help!"
Jan 20
"Does your school’s website adapt to the resolution of all devices? Find out how media queries can help!"
Jan 20
Samantha C is now a member of University Web Developers
Jan 18
"Listen to University of the Incarnate Word talk about the benefits of switching from open source WordPress to OUCampus in our new testimonial video! "
Jan 15
" "
Jan 15
"Need help building your #OUTC16 schedule? Get tips on which workshops to take in our latest blog post!"
Jan 14
"Take your internship program to the next level with these 7 steps from OmniUpdate CEO Lance Merker!"
Jan 12

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2016   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service