University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Different perspective on the question "How many are in your department? "

I've enjoyed watching the "How many are in your department topic?" the last few days, but after giving it sometime and reading through the responses - I wonder if one of the things that's missing might be "What is the title and spectrum of "your department"? :)

Sometimes we are compared to other institutions and asked "Why can't we do that?" only to find out when we call those schools that they may only have a few (5 or less) folks in their "Web Services" department, but after probing a little deeper and ask what sort of services they offer to support the web.  Sometimes I find that they may write code, but don't maintain the servers.  They may edit and approve content for the site, but they don't have a training program for users. 

I see a lot of one person / very small "departments", but what are those departments called and what are they expected to do?  Do they purchase, install, and maintain the hardware for the servers?  Do they manage, patch and upgrade a CMS?  Do they enter all the content for the entire www.XXX.edu site(s)?  How many sites do they support?  Do they edit and approve all the content for the entire site(s)?  Do they train folks how to write for the web and how to use the system(s)?  Do they survey users and do regular usability testing with students, faculty, and others?  Do they handle all the emails that come in with "web issues"?  Do they test and install new systems for the web?  Do all web systems within the institution go through the "department"?  One of the biggest questions is "Are all the people who support the web at different institutions within the same "department"/organizational unit or are they spread out in other areas too?"

Just something to think about and something I'd be very interested in learning as well.  We are trying to do that sort of consolidation at our school so we can most efficiently utilize all the resources across the school.  That way we can also find out how many additional folks we really need to have the best web presence possible.

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our server admin is in the IT department, as is our one PT app development support person (Administration and Finance Division) and I am in the University Relations (PR) department (Executive Division). The person who helps with writing for the Web is in the Academic Affairs division. As you can imagine, this sometimes causes a disconnect and takes more time for me to get things done since the other two report to other supervisors. To overcome this, I have opened lines of communication with those folks. It would be easier if at least one less upper administrator was involved in the process, but with 3, it really slows things down sometimes. The server admin strictly works with server maintenance, including software updates. The app developer creates applications that run outside the CMS (maybe that is customary in most case, not sure), the academic marketing coordinator assists academic units with writing content, and I deal with site maintenance, additions, training, usability testing, accessibility features, emails about web issues and pretty much everything else.

It would be easier if everything went through one department, but I only know of one or two universities where that is the case.
Thanks Suzanne - how big is your school as far as number of students go?
I am a one person department. I manage every aspect you mentioned above. Manage CMS, maintain server, support all sites on our domain, train users to use our software, run annual usability evaluations, handle all web support. So, needless to say I am a very busy guy, never a dull moment. I work in IT and am also our Advancement technology liason, and sometimes write custom programs for our Alumni reports.

We are small though, only 2500 students.
Thanks very much - I guess the number of students is another question we should ask to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. :) Sounds like you're very busy. :)
That's a big order. Even with the details of particular offices, I think you'll find it hard to distill a good baseline of offering vs workload.

As a one man office (Office of Web Marketing) at a school of 7000+, I:
- Maintain our CMS
- Do all front end development (HTML/CSS/most graphics/Velocity)
- Maintain social media
- Maintain our search appliance
- Support all campus offices' development needs
- Support the college instructional support consultants (middlemen between us and the departments with respect to technology needs)
- Process all analytics
- Some writing
- Information architecture
- Front end interactive tool planning and development (course search, forms, program listings, calendar, etc)
- Monitor accessibility
- Assist with deployment/support of other third party web tools (ie visitor chat support, etc..)

We have about 100 people total contributing in some way to the web site. I am involved in some way with nearly all of them, regardless of where they are. Unfortunately, training suffers as a result. Our IT staff handles the necessary OS updates on our server, but I handle everything else related to the CMS on the box. I do nothing with respect to our student portal system, which is exclusively the domain of IT. Otherwise, if it is web related, I almost certainly have something to do with it.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Erin Jorgensen posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2020 Accessibility Summit

The HighEdWeb 2020 Accessibility Summit is a one-day, online conference about digital accessibility in higher education happening June 25, 2020, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. CDT.Join in to learn best practices, share stories and connect with your higher ed peers on topics including social media accessibility, web development, user experience and more. Sessions are designed to boost knowledge at every level, from accessibility beginners to technical experts. Conference registration is $25, with…See More
yesterday
Erin Jorgensen is now a member of University Web Developers
yesterday
Christine Boehler posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2020 Annual Conference - ONLINE

October 19-20, 2020https://2020.highedweb.org/#HEWeb20     Join us ONLINE for HighEdWeb 2020, the conference created by and for higher education professionals across all departments and divisions. Together we explore and find solutions for the unique issues facing digital teams at colleges and universities. In 2020, the Conference will be held completely online, offering multiple tracks of streamed presentations, live…See More
May 3
Sara Arnold commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Throughout April, we're hosting webcasts exploring how colleges and universities across North America are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Register for the series today! https://bit.ly/2xsXhK9"
Apr 13
Christelle Lachapelle is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 6
"Download our latest white paper to learn how the demographics of today’s higher ed learners are shifting, and how schools can adapt to meet the needs of these new learners. https://bit.ly/2wTKdgB"
Mar 31
"Join our next webcast with Amrit Ahluwalia from The EvoLLLution to learn about the new "modern learner" in higher education. https://bit.ly/2UuDh2I"
Mar 30
"As we ride out the latest developments and impact of the coronavirus, there's no better time than now to learn the three Bs of crisis planning. http://bit.ly/2ITVkc2"
Mar 16
"Is your college or university prepared to meet the challenges that come with disasters and emergencies like the coronavirus? Learn how your CMS can help. http://bit.ly/2TUZUM8"
Mar 12
"Can’t afford the time and money to launch a comprehensive guided pathways model? Register for our FREE webcast to learn tricks for simulating a digital guided pathways experience."
Feb 21
"With college enrollment decreasing for the 8th year in a row, boosting your college or university marketing efforts is more important than ever. Here's how to get started. http://bit.ly/2vTQAzz"
Feb 20

HighEdWeb 2020 Annual Conference

October 18-21, 2020 in Little Rock, Arkansas, USAhttps://2020.highedweb.org/#HEWeb20     Join us for HighEdWeb 2020, the conference created by and for higher education professionals across all departments and divisions. Together we explore and find solutions for the unique issues facing digital teams at colleges and universities. With 100+ diverse sessions, an outstanding keynote presentation, intensive workshops, and engaging networking events,…See More
Feb 19

HighEdWeb 2020 Call for Proposals is Open!

The 2020 Annual Conference of the Higher Education Web Professionals Association (HighEdWeb) will travel to Little Rock, Arkansas, this October 18-21 — and the call for proposals is now open! As a digital professional in higher education, we know you have great ideas and experiences to share. From developers, marketers and programmers to managers, designers, writers and all team members in-between, HighEdWeb provides valuable professional development for all who want to explore the unique…See More
Feb 14
Christine Boehler shared Sara Clark's discussion on Facebook
Feb 14
Christine Boehler is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 14
Brian Bell joined Kevin Daum's group
Feb 14
Brian Bell joined Mark Greenfield's group
Feb 14
Kenneth George is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 13
John Sterni is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 6
"The early-bird discount for OUTC20 ends today! Don't wait... register NOW and save $100! https://outc20.com/"
Jan 24

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2020   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service