University Web Developers

University Web Developers

E-Expectations 2010: What Questions Do You Have For Prospective Students

Final preparations are underway for the 2010 Noel-Levitz E-Expectations survey. For those of you not familiar with E-Expectations, it is an ongoing project to uncover the online expectations and behaviors of prospective students. This research project examines what students want to find on Web sites, as well as their attitudes toward communication mediums such as social networking, text messaging, cell phone calls, and instant messaging being used for recruitment. (see http://bit.ly/5fmEai for previous surveys)

Are there any particular topics you would like to see included in the 2010 survey?

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark - thanks for opening this survey up to uwebd.. I have 2 recommendations.. I believe I mentioned this to Stephanie last year..

1) i would like to see a question that focuses on: would you be interested in receiving "text updates" or "mobile updates via text" from an institution in which you are interested? Updates would include notifications of events in your area, your application status, missing documents, deadline reminders, etc.

2) and based on the other questions in other discussions.. i think everyone would want to see what type of device they are using (iphone, bberry, smart phone, "basic phone).

Thanks!
Always look forward to the NL E-Expectations findings! I appreciated the information around content last year. I would love to see what prospective students say about the content specific to imagery (what they find engaging, what they hope to SEE in the photos on an institution's web site.)
Thanks for these great ideas! More?
Oh oh... it would be very helpful to know what % of mobile phones are Web accessible.. with a data plan. Based on that information, marketing to/with the device would change considerably.
I'd like to know more information about how prospective students perceive our various outposts on Facebook.
- Groups or Pages -- Do they perceive a difference when looking at a school, how do they want to connect with us?
- class of 20xx groups -- Since the College Prowler event last year, more schools are creating their own groups now. This year some other rogue group of the College Prowler variety created a Class of 2014 group for us. I created another one called "SUNY New Paltz Class of 2014 - Official" and worried the "official" bit would scare them away. (It hasn't so far.) Curious what their take is on that, and whether they care who created/started it.
- university presence -- do they want to see a separate FB Fan Page for the admissions office(s) than the main university?
I would love to see Noel-Levitz conduct a survey for adult learners -- working professionals or those in transition coming back to universities for continuing education and advanced degrees and who are often looking for online programs.
Video...how compelling is it (assuming it is done well)? We are applying a lot of resources to produce it and want to achieve a balance.

And, what content are students really interested in in video format?
I second video. I'd like to know more about the types of videos students think are valuable.
Great. I'm back at it now and will do my best to incorporate these ideas into our new survey. Hoping to hit the field in mid to late February with preliminary results appearing later in the spring. Full presentation of findings at NCSRMR (the Noel-Levitz national conference).
I would agree with Rachel's request regarding social networks. I would also like to learn if they prefer a private social network (i.e. just for accepted students of that university) or an open Facebook Group. As well as hear how often this group is utilizing Twitter. Thanks!

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Rachel Burt commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Ever wonder what other colleges and universities are doing to attract prospective students and keep faculty, staff, and existing students informed? Get some inspiration from these award winners"
12 hours ago
Profile IconBrian Piper, Kim Brown and Marianne Schneider joined University Web Developers
21 hours ago
"Now available in our OU Campus CMS, Global Search doesn’t require knowledge of navigating your website’s structure. It only requires general knowledge of the content or item you want to find. "
Friday
"For months, you’ve reviewed templates and created, deleted, and revised content for your new redesigned website. Now it’s time to move the content. "
Thursday
"Join Caroline Roberts from iFactory for our next webcast on how to audit your content for a new CMS launch. Register today! "
Thursday
"Are you using your website to your utmost advantage? Learn how to realize your site’s potential and hit your enrollment goals. "
Wednesday
David Hunt is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 17
Jon Shaw posted a discussion

GPS Campus Shuttle Tracker / Tracking Services

Hello,We are considering options for gps tracking a small group of campus shuttles (5) on a small looping route.  There are several services available such as NextBus, TranLoc, and DoubleMaps, but these offer a full-service package that could be used by a municipal authority.We would like to look at simpler options.  We basically need to see where the buses are, and a good feature would be some built-in ETA for marked stops.  One option I found is LiveViewGPS.  It doesn't have the predictive…See More
Apr 13
"Forms are a powerful tool to actively gather data from your website visitors and make informed decisions based on the results collected. "
Apr 13
"Join us for an upcoming webcast on troubleshooting accessibility issues and how to ensure a smooth site experience for all. Register today! "
Apr 12
"A major website redesign is a lot of work, but the results can have far-reaching effects. That’s why making sure your web CMS can handle the new technologies and features included in a redesign is imperative. "
Apr 11
"We exist solely to make our customers successful. Without satisfied customers, we’d be out of business. "
Apr 9
"If you manage one of the million websites affected by Drupalgeddon 2, the latest “highly critical” Drupal security breach, it may be time to rethink your web CMS. "
Apr 5
David Giordano is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 5
"When evaluating a new web content management system, make sure to get cross-campus input and buy-in, but avoid creating more work for your coworkers. "
Apr 4
"It’s time to put to rest the notion that one can game search engine algorithms. "
Apr 4
"Multi-tasking and constant interruptions are inevitable when working in higher ed. The Notes Gadget can help. "
Apr 3
Katie Stompor posted a discussion

Sr. Web Developer at Purdue University Northwest

The Purdue Northwest Marketing & Communication team is looking for an experienced Sr. Web Developer. Find the full job listing here: http://purdue.taleo.net/careersection/nc_3/joblist.ftl?lang=en&portal=52400108274See More
Apr 2
Katie Stompor is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 2
Andrew Grohowski joined Lynn Zawie's group
Thumbnail

OmniUpdate

Share your experiences using OmniUpdate CMS
Mar 29

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2018   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service