University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Facebook: Pages vs. Groups & how many is too many (if possible)

This morning my friend Jess (@jesskry) started the following conversation on Twitter:
Higher ed peeps: how many Twitter/FB Groups are too many? Is there ...

This started a good discussion without our highered Twitter community, but Jess & I took it over to e-mail to discuss in more depth than 140 characters allow. We're bringing it over here to Ning, as we feel there are lots of different viewpoints and settings that will make the answers different for each institution, instead of potentially creating one standard best practice. Here's our conversation below. Can you weigh-in and tell us what you think?

Rachel to Jess:
My initial feeling is that it depends on the size of the university, the culture, and the structure. For my university, we're small enough (enrollment of 8,000, about 1,000 employees) that everyone knows me & that I'm the go-to person for all things Web-related, including social media. For us I think it makes most sense to have one official university FB page. I think anyone else in our university wanting a presence on FB should have groups, and I happily link to them from our groups channel.

I've heard from others who work for much larger institutions, such as the University of Buffalo, who are so huge, there's no central Web/marketing function. There may be for individual schools within the university, but not one big central one. For them, it may make more sense to go with pages. The big thing is, if they're going to use it as true marketers, they need the Insights for tracking/measurement. But, groups has the great advantage of having messages sent to everyone go to their inbox, whereas the Pages stick it in the "notifications" box & I think gets lost up there (especially for those kids super active with all the apps).

What are your thoughts?

(Jess will post her reply in just a bit....)

Views: 335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Ning idea is great. I'll have to run it by them.

I've been lucky to have all inquiries about Facebook and pages run through my office also. Our school is small also, but I could see a potential explosion of pages. Groups seem to be more welcomed by students. Since we have set up our 2013 group, discussion about admission and other college questions have dropped off at our official page. This could be from most questions being answered or interest switched to the group.

So under the same idea we would have some discussion on the senate page and that discussion would filter down to the individual club groups.
My initial response to your first couple sentences was -- eeep! I definitely agree with you that it would be a poor choice. Web sites are for content, information, one-way stuff. Social networking sites are for building communities & relationships. Student organizations are for building relationships in-person as part of the whole co-curricular experience. I don't see how they could get a whole lot of value of having a presence as a page in Facebook. Perhaps a Ning community might be an interesting complement to what their doing, but in both cases, they have the issues you mentioned -- turning over the "keys" to the next group. But, they have the same issues with their Web sites now too.

I have an e-mail in to our Student Association President to have a planning meeting about developing a "best practices" or helpful kind of guide for student orgs to help them figure out what tools would work best for them electronically. If we come up with something, I'd be happy to share.
For our College, which is one of many in a large university, we have two alumni groups in Facebook. We choose groups because of the ability to communicate directly with group members, rather than the updates used for pages. We don't abuse the frequency and we only pick messages of importance.

An advantage of pages is how customizable they are but we mainly use our group for photos, so it works well for that.

I don't see a problem with multiple groups and pages since they might be specialized, for example, ours which is dedicated to our College's alumni and our events. Our members are also members of the larger university's alumni Facebook group.

The goal for our group is to build the relationship with our alums and let them know about events. It's an excellent way to keep in touch with younger alums whose email addresses we don't have on file.
For our University, University of Advancing Technology, we have decided to go with one main Fan Page. Between our online and resident students we total to about 1200 students. We don't have sports teams, so we don't have to worry about competing on FB about where content needs to be. All of our FB groups, with the exception of two, have been student initiated. I monitor what is being said in all of the groups just to make sure everything is accurate.

When it comes to multiple Fan Pages, I believe one main page for the university is the best way to go UNLESS there is a program, sports team or club that is widely known to high school students. Being from St. Louis, Mizzou Basketball and football as well as the University of Illinois basketball were widely known. I believe these would be worthy of their own page.

Can't wait to see what else comes of this discussion!
This discussion drew me in here as I was recently wondering whether our law school should have a separate page for its Master's degree programs, which are distinct from our JD program in some ways. Ultimately decided to stick with one page because our goal is for the audience to unite as one community of people who care about our school. I'm looking forward to the new FB pages when they launch soon. http://bit.ly/VsIzH
Thanks for posting this. It'll be interesting to see how these changes affect user engagement. The Applications were one of the main vehicles for customizing Facebook Pages. They've now been relegated off the main view of the Facebook Page.

The flip side is that the new implementation of Pages seems to promise greater access to User's News Feeds through features like Status Updates for Pages (which will seemingly work much like Status Updates for Facebook Profiles).
We are currently debating this as well - I found this post to be helpful - "Facebook: Fan Pages vs. Groups for HigherEd Offices" - http://howardkang.com/facebook-fan-pages-vs-groups-for-highered-off...
Here at UCF (University of Central Florida) we have 50,000+ students. We are the fifth-largest in the nation, and second largest in undergraduate population. We have a central marketing office of 12 people. The colleges, there are 12 here all have marketing people. The Foundation has marketing people, Alumni, you guessed it marketing people. Coordination with these groups can be challenging.

But no matter the size of the institution, I think the problem remains the same. How do we communicate accurate and current university messages on social networks with out being an advertiser or a nag. We want people to join for spirit and community, not to buy the latest hat or register for that next class, that comes later. The community is not a hard selling location, it is really just awareness and being part of the tribe that students, alumni, faculty and others want to be associated with.

Right now, I apparently have 3 fan pages (I think Facebook had something to do with that) and I am working on consolidating to one. Even though we are a big university, UCF should have one source for university message at a global level. This can have the boiler plate the VP's love and the really meat of social communication that the fans want. That page, should be managed by a group that has a university-wide minded strategy and that group should work with key offices to maintain the content on that page so that it works for its environment, IE, don't hard sell and promote advertising on your wall. Try having a conversation with your tribe.

One model that fits this conversation that is happen already, YouTube Channels. Does every college/university have multiple?
Im curious to see if anyone has an example of any social media strategy they have formalized? And that they would be willing to share.

It sounds pretty much like what other schools have been faced with up until now. We have a facebook page for admissions and alumni - now athletics wants one, but each sport wants their own, etc. And they are asking for marketing help to get it all going.

I feel like I need to get some sort of strategy organized to keep it all within range to take on these various requests so we have something to fall back on when the groups come to us asking for a page.

Thanks
Nancy
The strategy should tie in to larger goals, and I'd strongly encourage a written social media policy or set of guidelines that could help with the issue of everyone wanting to jump on board. Check out this other discussion on policies/guidelines.
I work in the Marketing & Public Relations department. We started our first college Facebook page. We call it the official college page. Other departments have Facebook pages, such as the Library, eLearning, Student Services, etc. All Facebook pages must go through this department. They must get approval from us, and we have some standards that they must follow.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Sara Kisseberth posted a discussion

Archived magazine stories

Greetings,What are you all doing online with "old" magazine stories? Do you delete issues after so  many years? 5 years? 10? I'm torn between keeping all on for historical purposes or keeping just a few years online to simplify the site (ala Gerry McGovern.) Curious as to what you see best practices being.ThanksSara KisseberthBluffton Universitywww.bluffton.eduSee More
Jun 10
Erin Jorgensen posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2020 Accessibility Summit

The HighEdWeb 2020 Accessibility Summit is a one-day, online conference about digital accessibility in higher education happening June 25, 2020, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. CDT.Join in to learn best practices, share stories and connect with your higher ed peers on topics including social media accessibility, web development, user experience and more. Sessions are designed to boost knowledge at every level, from accessibility beginners to technical experts. Conference registration is $25, with…See More
May 29
Erin Jorgensen is now a member of University Web Developers
May 29
Christine Boehler posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2020 Annual Conference - ONLINE

October 19-20, 2020https://2020.highedweb.org/#HEWeb20     Join us ONLINE for HighEdWeb 2020, the conference created by and for higher education professionals across all departments and divisions. Together we explore and find solutions for the unique issues facing digital teams at colleges and universities. In 2020, the Conference will be held completely online, offering multiple tracks of streamed presentations, live…See More
May 3
Sara Arnold commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Throughout April, we're hosting webcasts exploring how colleges and universities across North America are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Register for the series today! https://bit.ly/2xsXhK9"
Apr 13
Christelle Lachapelle is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 6
"Download our latest white paper to learn how the demographics of today’s higher ed learners are shifting, and how schools can adapt to meet the needs of these new learners. https://bit.ly/2wTKdgB"
Mar 31
"Join our next webcast with Amrit Ahluwalia from The EvoLLLution to learn about the new "modern learner" in higher education. https://bit.ly/2UuDh2I"
Mar 30
"As we ride out the latest developments and impact of the coronavirus, there's no better time than now to learn the three Bs of crisis planning. http://bit.ly/2ITVkc2"
Mar 16
"Is your college or university prepared to meet the challenges that come with disasters and emergencies like the coronavirus? Learn how your CMS can help. http://bit.ly/2TUZUM8"
Mar 12
"Can’t afford the time and money to launch a comprehensive guided pathways model? Register for our FREE webcast to learn tricks for simulating a digital guided pathways experience."
Feb 21
"With college enrollment decreasing for the 8th year in a row, boosting your college or university marketing efforts is more important than ever. Here's how to get started. http://bit.ly/2vTQAzz"
Feb 20

HighEdWeb 2020 Annual Conference

October 18-21, 2020 in Little Rock, Arkansas, USAhttps://2020.highedweb.org/#HEWeb20     Join us for HighEdWeb 2020, the conference created by and for higher education professionals across all departments and divisions. Together we explore and find solutions for the unique issues facing digital teams at colleges and universities. With 100+ diverse sessions, an outstanding keynote presentation, intensive workshops, and engaging networking events,…See More
Feb 19

HighEdWeb 2020 Call for Proposals is Open!

The 2020 Annual Conference of the Higher Education Web Professionals Association (HighEdWeb) will travel to Little Rock, Arkansas, this October 18-21 — and the call for proposals is now open! As a digital professional in higher education, we know you have great ideas and experiences to share. From developers, marketers and programmers to managers, designers, writers and all team members in-between, HighEdWeb provides valuable professional development for all who want to explore the unique…See More
Feb 14
Christine Boehler shared Sara Clark's discussion on Facebook
Feb 14
Christine Boehler is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 14
Brian Bell joined Kevin Daum's group
Feb 14
Brian Bell joined Mark Greenfield's group
Feb 14
Kenneth George is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 13
John Sterni is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 6

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2020   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service