Summary of Purpose:
Responsible for college-wide instructional design and support for faculty in the use of academic technology for student learning.
Responsibilities include the analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation of web-based and instructor-led curricula; proactive consultation with subject matter experts to identify and obtain objectives and content; draft storyboards and mock-ups, and write and develop training content; cross-campus adoption of best-in-class authoring tools, industry standard protocols and distance learning technologies. Instructional Designer will work on multiple projects concurrently, and must be able to create project plans and deliver timely results. This position reports to the Director of Academic Technology. The employee is expected to work in a multi-cultural diverse working environment.
This description is intended to indicate the types of duties and responsibilities performed by the employee assigned this title. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required.
1. Provide pedagogical and instructional design consultation and support services to assist faculty to effectively deliver instruction, with particular emphasis on use of technology in hybrid, online and face-to-face technology-enhanced courses.
2. Develop instructional strategies and recommend appropriate learning tools to achieve course objectives based on education research and best practices.
3. Develop and facilitate faculty workshops based on sound pedagogic principles.
4. Develop an understanding of college curricular priorities such as student learning outcomes assessment, accessibility and applying best design practices in implementing those priorities.
5. Staff the Teaching and Learning with Technology Centers (TLTCs), integrating new technologies as they become available, and maintaining the resource libraries, as needed.
6. Investigate and evaluate new pedagogical and technology-mediated learning initiatives including emerging technologies such as mobile learning.
7. Work in close partnership with faculty to develop and deliver innovative, dynamic and effective design, sequencing of instruction, use of assessments, and design of course materials and activities for interactive and engaging learning environments.
8. Review the effectiveness of various technologies to support or enhance pedagogy and leverage various technologies in support of instructional goals.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design; Master’s degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Three years recent experience in instructional design and adult learning theory designing and creating online/blended instructional materials/content in higher education using: learning management systems (preferably Desire2Learn), web-based instructional technologies (HTML5, CSS, Camtasia), e-learning authoring platforms (Lectora, Captivate), graphics programs (Photoshop, Illustrator), multimedia technologies, and SCORM compliancy. Proficiency using instructional design tools such as training project plans, design documents, storyboards, prototypes, etc. Higher education instructional design experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Strong technical skills in a variety of multimedia and web applications
- Knowledge of best practices of ADA, Fair Use, Intellectual Property, and Copyright compliance to e-learning
- Demonstrated application of adult learning principles, development methodologies, constructivism, facilitation, and learner-centered activities. Experience recommending procedures and methods for effective instruction
- Proven knowledge of rubrics and course assessments
- Applied experience in instructional design and curriculum development including online learning and instruction, program development and assessment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated skills in project management. Ability to prioritize, schedule and meet deadlines for multiple concurrent design and development projects, from inception to completion, working independently and within a team with minimal guidance
- Highly-developed critical thinking skills and strong problem-solving ability
- Demonstrated ability facilitating various workshops
HOW TO APPLY:
All applicants must fill out the on-line application form, complete the certification page (page 6), and "Submit" the application information. Also, upload a cover letter, current resume and copies of all required transcripts as listed in the minimum requirements.
All information requested must be submitted by the deadline date, October 25, 2013, in order to be considered for this position.