Hi everyone -
We often work with schools who want help crafting a position listing or description.
Is anyone aware of a good job-description repository for higher-ed interactive jobs?
If not, would you be willing to share recent and not-so-recent listings for your Web/interactive writer/editor positions?
I've pasted something we developed recently below.
If you have something you'd like to share, please post back here so the community can see.
Will probably cross-post to the listserv, as the venues aren't mutually exclusive.
The Communications Specialist will participate in all aspects of Web and e-mail communications planning and execution.
Qualified candidates will possess a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, English or related field, 2-3 years experience, and demonstrated skills in the following areas: analysis, research/reporting, writing, verbal communication, editing/proofreading, graphic creation/optimization for online media, Web site editing and production, and general messaging, quality and standards control of communications pieces. Above all, applicants should be highly self-directed and willing to take on new challenges.
Recruiting and/or marketing communications experience in a educational environment is desirable, but not required.
Samples of previous work and/or a portfolio may be requested upon interview.
Applicants should be prepared to take a skills test measuring proficiency in proofreading, production and computer skills.
Create content for Web site
- Gather missing information needed to build out site
- Identify events and happenings of interest on campus and in outreach/research projects
- Research, interview and write news stories and produce podcasts
- Update events calendar and other routine site maintenance tasks
- Analyzing existing communication tools and client requests for best application to the Web
Organizing content into appropriate navigation schemes
Participate in the production of specific Web and online projects, meeting quality standards, technical requirements, and best practices
- Optimizing graphics
- Building and updating pages within CMS
- Selecting appropriate imagery from an approved pool
- Testing and assuring cross-browser and cross-platform quality
- Ensuring consistency and effectiveness of presentation for all elements on story and index pages
Experience with HTML visual and text editors, XHTML, CSS, 508 Accessibility, Web Standards, FTP/SFTP, and CMS- or database-driven sites
Working knowledge of Photoshop/Imageready, InDesign and other publishing programs
Excellent collaboration skills, particularly in soliciting and incorporating critique and feedback from multiple stakeholders
Demonstrated ability to work well independently or on a team, always showing respect for the diverse constituencies