University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing research for an online chat interface. Would anyone have recommendations that aren't in house built.

We'll need to embed it on our website.

Thanks again,

Katra

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Katra,

For background, are you using a specific CMS or preferred technology stack, and do you have a preference for a 'cloudy' hosted solution you just drop in with an iframe, or something that integrates directly with your CMS?

(Chat also interests me a lot, as we are currently looking to integrate chat with a new CRM system, so that chats with prospective students can be associated with their other contact information.)

Have you been able to make any outcome statements re: web traffic or online inquiry percentage increases after implementing a chat module? If you would care to share any data or figures I'd be much obliged!

In our case the impact of our current proprietary chat tool seems to be minimal, as it is little-used. It requires log-in with contact details and is slow to load. I don't have any metrics on its impact to back up my perception though.

I expect that a lighter-weight solution like olark (http://www.olark.com/) would offer a much better user experience, and would be more used. Olark has a free version you can check out of you want to do some testing: https://www.olark.com/signup/create_new_account

Has anyone used olark or a similar hosted chat solution? Did you find it worthwhile?

Thanks, Daniel. We don't currently have any livechat solution so this is new fact-finding territory for us! I will keep the forum posted as/if we are able to move forward.

Katra,

I used Mibew (http://mibew.org/) at my previous job to help our webinar attendees with technical issues. Our university's department of student activities also uses it on their website. (https://studentactivities.tamu.edu/app/ - look for "chat with us" in the footer"). This is an open-source alternative that would probably be good for what you need. You'll definitely need in-house tech help to implement and maintain it though.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Erin Leavitt commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Excited to welcome Rosemont College​ into the OU Campus user community!"
Friday
"Guest blogger Michael Stoner of mStoner shares tips on how to incorporate social media on your college or university website! "
Thursday
John PArdavila is now a member of University Web Developers
Thursday
Sherry Nelson joined Arlen Johnson's group
Thumbnail

Calendars

Discuss event calendars and calendaring - identify products, solutions, and needs
Wednesday
Ken Pooley posted discussions
Wednesday
Profile IconSherry Nelson and Angela French joined University Web Developers
Tuesday
Chris Paddock posted a discussion

Senior Web Developer

Apply at https://jobs.wheatoncollege.edu/PRIMARY PURPOSE:The Senior Web Developer serves as the technology lead for Wheaton’s Web Strategy team. This person will guide the implementation and support of our digital channels, working with the team and other stakeholders across campus to define, create, and implement digital projects. The incumbent is responsible for managing the technical resources that support the college’s primary websites and…See More
Mar 23
Natalie Semmler commented on Cal Anderson's group Terminal Four Site Manager
"At the time we had 2 full-time employees and a temp on the web team. We had over 150 users trained to do the migration; some departments assigned more than others. Each department was required to assign someone. As far as I know only a few had any…"
Mar 20
Giovanni V. Diorio posted a group
Mar 20
Giovanni V. Diorio posted a blog post

Sanmita Has New CMS Bundle: AcademicsWeb. Designed and Developed for Educational Institutions

The more I learned about Sanmita, the more I was convinced of an incredibly capable, intelligent, and fully featured web firm, with design, development, and hosting all available. Sites with great flexibility, yet with sensible navigation... fully scalable, all with painless content management after launch. I tested sites they developed on my iPhone, and they automatically adjust (responsive)... no need for an app version. I'm specifically focused on a brilliant new CMS bundle, AcademicsWeb,…See More
Mar 20
Giovanni V. Diorio is now a member of University Web Developers
Mar 20
Jay Massey commented on Cal Anderson's group Terminal Four Site Manager
"Debbie, It was a process, but yes. Once we had approval from leadership to pursue a new website, we presented to our idea for a CMS to the Web Advisor Committee to get their buy-in. We further presented to the executive committee, provost and deans,…"
Mar 20
Natalie Semmler commented on Cal Anderson's group Terminal Four Site Manager
"For us 'buy-in' came from the top-down. All websites are required to be in T4. That being said we conducted over 100 training sessions including using T4, writing for the web, how-to migrate content, and migration workshops. We conducted…"
Mar 20
Jay Massey commented on Cal Anderson's group Terminal Four Site Manager
"We finalized our conversation from a 50,000-page, static, Dreamweaver-maintained site into a T4 CMS-driven site in 2014. We trained 250 campus staff as content providers. We also trained the content providers how to migrate their own content. We now…"
Mar 20
Katie Ryan Lambert joined John Wilson's group
Thumbnail

SharePoint

Share your knowledge about MOSS 2007!
Mar 20
Katie Ryan Lambert joined Inas Hamam's group
Thumbnail

Sharepoint CMS users

For universities using Microsoft Sharepoint
Mar 20
Katie Ryan Lambert commented on Cal Anderson's group Terminal Four Site Manager
"Hi all - we implemented T4 in November 2014. So far the tool is working very well for us. I recently trained 21 people across different departments and they're now empowered to update their own content. The tool was relatively easy for most to…"
Mar 20
Sara Clark posted a discussion

Missouri State University seeks full stack developer/engineer

Missouri State University is accepting applications for a full stack developer/engineer.Position comes with superior benefits, including group health insurance, life insurance, retirement, tuition waivers, wellness programs and professional development opportunities. Learn more about benefits.ResponsibilitiesServes as technical lead to guide Web applications…See More
Mar 20
Debbie joined Cal Anderson's group
Thumbnail

Terminal Four Site Manager

For institutions using Terminal Four's (T4) Site Manager CMS.See More
Mar 20
"Calling all OU Campus users! Learn more about the relaunch of the OmniUpdate Community Network where members share tips, tricks, code, and more in this blog post, or see it for yourself at ocn.omniupdate.com "
Mar 19

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2015   Created by Mark Greenfield.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service