University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Came across an interesting story on the BBC today:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23898080

"Patent trolls take out generalised patents, often on widely available technology, and then demand money from companies who use or offer it. Shops and restaurants have been targeted for displaying QR codes and online store-locators...."

After which I tried to find out what the QR Code issue was. Which led me to this blog post: http://www.paperspecs.com/30344/beware-the-qr-code-patent-trap/

According to that, “if your QR code sends people to a URL shortener, Neomedia claims you’re infringing their patents.”

(Namely, US Patent 6,199,048 and US Patent 8,131,597)

Does anyone happen to know whether there are equivalent or similar patents covering the UK, or is this purely an American issue? And are there any other patent issues around QR codes, or are only URL shortened URLs a problem?

(I don't think we use QR codes a lot on our campus, but this story baffled me...)

Views: 989

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

With the usual caveats about not constituting legal advice, etc., I feel confident about using QR codes here in Canada without any particular concern over legal issues. With regards to this specific lawsuit you could always link to the full URL, and then present the shortened URL in text on the same print piece or signage. That would avoid the QR-to-short-URL issue.

I keep hoping QR will begin to be built into camera apps by default and then begin to take off, because I consider it a nifty 'gateway drug' to full augmented reality. However, so far, no traction on that...

I do notice that QR is now being used in WeChat to add new users to group conversations, so that might spread it a bit more widely. However I think the uptake on QR has always been greater in Asia than in North America, so it may remain a technology that never does quite reach critical mass here.

What do you think, do any of you have situations where QR works well for you on campus?

To be honest, I have yet to see a QR Code which has enhanced my life, as a user. It's easier to find bad examples of QR codes than good ones. (A railway station in Bristol replaced all the timetables on platforms with QR Codes, so you could only find out what trains were running if you had a smartphone and mobile broadband and the patience to leaf through a PDF on a phone. A department in the University printed QR codes in a brochure. The QR codes were the links to the PDF of the very brochure itself.)

I could imagine QR codes having some degree of usefulness, if you can use them to "check in" to something on Facebook or some other geosocial network, or to "review / read reviews of" restaurants on Tripadvisor. I could imagine QR codes being handy for booking attendance at something in advance ("Here next week: Careers talk" > QR Code to book on eventbrite / add to your own calendar). I could imagine that it might one day be good for libraries: scan a QR code on a physical copy to loan out a digital copy of something (ebook, ejournal, movie) and then access the digital copy at home but leave the physical copy in the library.

But in truth, I haven't seen any of those uses of QR codes so far. Instead, what I tend to see is information that used to be available disappearing, replaced with a QR code, or people hoping for user curiosity, placing QR codes with little or no context somewhere as guerilla advertising tool (only no one ever scans them, as who knows where they might lead...)

Quite simply, so far I haven't seen a use of a QR code that was genuinely rewarding for the users.

Very good points, and in general I agree.

Here at Brescia we identified a 'test use case' for QR: When students pile off the bus from main campus, they all have smartphone in hand, so we created a simple  'Daily Brescia' web page for announcements such as events and class cancellations. (http://www.brescia.uwo.ca/daily/) which is accessible by URL and QR. Uptake has been low, but I suspect it may pick up a bit when we start adding the daily lunch specials... food motivates! :)

The future Higher Ed uses that I can see for QR, and for locational augmented reality (AR) in general, are mostly in extending signage and location information with timely overlays of additional data or functionality. I see it as a fundamentally informational technology, rather than as one suited to the kind of marketing applications that are common so far.

Having said that, I think QR is a transitional technology on the road to AR that has probably not caught enough momentum to survive. I doubt that it will be a part of the digital media mix 5 years from now, unless new applications like the WeChat example give it new life.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Erin Leavitt commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Last chance to submit your proposals to present at #OUTC15 "
Friday
"A lot of our customers are presenting at HighEdWeb! See who in today's blog post.  "
Thursday
"Voting has officially begun! Check out the gadget ideas submitted by your higher ed peers and vote for the ones you would like to see incorporated in OU Campus. "
Wednesday
"Happy Tuesday! We are pleased to welcome Nevada State College as the newest addition to the OU Campus user community."
Tuesday
Zack Rosen is now a member of University Web Developers
Oct 14
"Lots to do with this year’s E-Expectations survey. See the discussion in today's blog post."
Oct 13
Jay Massey replied to Cal Anderson's discussion T4 Site Manager Implementation in the group Terminal Four Site Manager
"We just finished our institution-wide, procurement, redesign, development, migration and launch our our university's public web presence with T4 Site Manager. I've been intimately involved in the entire process. AMA... シ Jay"
Oct 13
Jay Massey joined Cal Anderson's group
Thumbnail

Terminal Four Site Manager

For institutions using Terminal Four's (T4) Site Manager CMS.See More
Oct 13
"Only one more week to submit your presentation proposals for a chance to receive free or half-priced registration to OUTC15! "
Oct 10
"Check out Treasure Valley Community College’s new Course Catalog. Excellent work! "
Oct 9
"Please help us welcome to the OmniUpdate family our first new customer of the fall season, Millsaps College!"
Oct 8
"Now you can use the CMS features you know and love in OU Campus to succeed in your institution’s blogging efforts! Find out how in today's blog post. "
Oct 7
Profile IconDiana Muina and Kate Clark joined DNI's group
Thumbnail

Cascade Server CMS

For folks who use (or are interested in) Hannon Hill's Cascade Server CMS productSee More
Oct 7
Profile IconDiana Muina, Kate Clark, Charlie Holder and 2 more joined University Web Developers
Oct 7
Artur Charukhchyan replied to Artur Charukhchyan's discussion Wordpress setup advice needed
"Thank you!"
Oct 6
"OmniUpdate customers are invited to join us Thursday, October 9th at 11AM PDT for a free 30-minute webcast all about Email Campaign Manager! Register now. "
Oct 6
Dan Bashaw replied to Artur Charukhchyan's discussion Wordpress setup advice needed
Oct 6
Dan Bashaw replied to Artur Charukhchyan's discussion Wordpress setup advice needed
"Check out a 'multisite' install for this use case -- it will be very suited to creating a departmental structure."
Oct 6
Profile IconKat Liendgens, Sarah Golden and Blaine Herman joined DNI's group
Thumbnail

Cascade Server CMS

For folks who use (or are interested in) Hannon Hill's Cascade Server CMS productSee More
Oct 3
Artur Charukhchyan posted a discussion

Wordpress setup advice needed

Hello,We were asked to set up a wordpress demo site for the communication office to test it out. We're looking for a multi-departmental setup. The overall template will be the same, but each departmental sub-site will have its own menu on the left; The web writers/editor should be able to create content on existing pages and submit them for review to the approver. The departmental users should only be able to edit their personal departmental sites. I have installed and configured plain…See More
Oct 3

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2014   Created by Mark Greenfield.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service