University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Recommendations for web design firm to upgrade existing website to responsive design

We are seeking recommendations for a firm to work with us to create a responsive version of our website.

Tags: responsive

Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jon,

Please post more deets for the best advice: I see that your site is at http://www.ycp.edu/ and you list a proprietary CMS, Terminalfour (http://www.terminalfour.com/). Are you sticking with your CMS, or considering a switch? Any significant new features being added? Any other requirements that would help us make good recommendations for design and development.

As a follow-up, if you are looking for a full rethink of your site that addresses strategy as well as design and development, Converge (http://www.convergeconsulting.org/) is an excellent agency to work with.

However if your project is specifically technical, without a strategy and design component, you are probably looking for a technology-specific development team instead. In that case you'll need to consider your CMS choice before you pick a team.

If you are planning to stick with your current CMS, you'll want a development team with experience in that specific technology. If you plan to switch, you'll need deep experience with your next CMS platform.

Have you made a decision on strategic vs. technical, or switch vs.stay, or is that still under analysis?

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for getting back quickly.  I appreciate your input. At this time, we need first a technical upgrade to make as much of our existing content responsive.  A couple of vendors have mentioned taking a framework "cms agnostic" approach.  We will not move from our current cms which is Terminalfour.  

The next phase will likely involve some visual redesigns and probably some strategic changes as well.  We have a new committee forming, so we will find out not too long from now.

Have you worked with Converge before?  It's not encouraging to see character encoding "typos" on some of their main pages http://www.convergeconsulting.org/about-us/ http://www.convergeconsulting.org/our-team/.  How would you characterize their team?

Best regards,

Jon

Hi Jon,

In my view Converge focuses on design and marketing for higher ed more than on tech. We are currently working with them on a brand refresh, and I think they are very good in that kind of creative space. The firm that I believe Converge 'diverged' from, Stamats (http://www.stamats.com/) is also very big in the design/marketing end of things, and was responsible for our web site redesign back in 2010, using some  early responsive design techniques. It seems to me that both firms are well worth checking out when you decide to look at a new design cycle.

The idea of CMS agnostic responsive design is an interesting one to me... depending on the structures generated by your CMS, I can see that media queries and CSS could address some of your responsive requirements, but it also seems to me that working within the CMS templates will almost certainly be required, or at least very, very helpful. If Terminalfour gives you or your selected agrency access to both HTML rendering templates and CSS, then you have all the control you need... but that would not be CMS agnostic then, but more along the lines of 'CMS DIY templating'. Unless Terminalfour has committed to implementing the responsive design your agency comes up with for you? In that case you probably have smooth sailing ahead!

As an opinionated aside: I think proprietary CMSs need to be proactively approaching their clients and offering free or discounted responsive template upgrades if they are going to remain relevant and maintain any market share at all. The competition from consultant-supported open source alternatives is only growing stronger. I expect that only the most nimble and proactive of the proprietary CMS offerings will survive beyond the next few years. Most will become legacy products... though some might morph into hosted cloud services and gain a new lease on life that way.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.  I will look into these firms.  Just for info, we do have complete access to css, html, etc. with Terminalfour.

Have a great day.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Sara Arnold commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"OU Campus users and administrators: There are only two more days to vote for your favorite gadget ideas in the 2015 Gadget Challenge! Cast your votes by tomorrow, September 4 at 5:00 PM Pacific Time. The top five ideas will go on to the finals, so…"
14 hours ago
"Did you hear? OUTC16 Call for Proposals is now open. We are eagerly awaiting your submissions!"
Tuesday
"Have you seen The University of South Alabama's new online course catalog? It integrates with Banner. Looks sharp! Check it out. "
Aug 26
"Congrats to Oklahoma City Community College on going live with their new responsive online course catalog! "
Aug 24
"Curious about what's going to be in the 2015 E-Expectations Report? Get some hints in today's blog post! "
Aug 20
"Big congrats to Butler County Community College on going live in OU Campus last week with their new responsive site. Looks amazing! Check it out: bc3.edu "
Aug 20
"HUGE shout-out to Hope College on going live in OU Campus with their new responsive site, which Includes a course catalog, calendar, directories, news center, and much more! Check it out: hope.edu "
Aug 18
Howard Hanna posted a discussion

Cloud Providers: Acquia or Pantheon?

We're considering moving a lower-trafficked site with a fairly vanilla Drupal install to a cloud provider and are wondering whether to go with Acquia or Pantheon.Which would you choose?See More
Aug 18
Profile IconJanine Sazinsky and Cynthia Rodriguez joined University Web Developers
Aug 14
"#OUTC16 dates and location have been announced!! Get the scoop on our blog! "
Aug 13
"Southwest Mississippi Community College has joined the OmniUpdate family. Hip hip hooray!! #weloveourcustomers‬"
Aug 11
Howard Hanna posted a discussion

Site Search: Evaluating and Testing

Amherst College is considering switching the search engine we use on our website (Drupal) from Google Search Appliance (GSA) to Google Custom Search Engine (CSE). We are considering using Google Tag Manager (GTM) for A/B testing of GSA and CSE. We are configured to seamlessly switch between the two search options.Does anyone have ideas, resources, or a checklist you've used for testing the site search and gauging relevancy?If not GTM for A/B testing, any recommendation on what else to use?All…See More
Aug 5
"New post up on the blog by OmniUpdate CEO, Lance Merker! Check it out: Three Takeaways from #eduweb15 "
Aug 4
Phyllis Treige posted a discussion

UX Analyst at University of Wisconsin-Madison

The Communications Department in the UW-Madison Division of Information Technology (DoIT) is looking for a full-time User Experience Analyst to join our team.  The opportunityWe’re redefining the experience of higher education at UW-Madison, from improving the course enrollment process to designing tools that support advising to overhauling the MyUW portal.  We need someone who is driven to understand the challenges our users face, to help untangle thorny process and technical ecosystems, and…See More
Aug 4
"We're so excited to add Lake Tahoe Community College to the OmniUpdate family! Welcome aboard!"
Aug 3
Profile IconKendra Smith, Dan LeGate, Matt Kacskos and 2 more joined University Web Developers
Jul 31
"Congrats to Snow College on going live in OU Campus with their new responsive site! Check it out: www.snow.edu "
Jul 30
"Get the scoop on snippets in the new post up on the blog! "
Jul 29
Erin Leavitt commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"New blog post from Kate Browne, Technology Trainer at Illinois Wesleyan University! The Welcoming Website Part 1: Accessibility and Universal Design "
Jul 22
Erin Leavitt commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Nevada State College went live in our OU Campus CMS! Check it out: nsc.edu http://nsc.edu/"
Jul 20

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2015   Created by Mark Greenfield.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service