University Web Developers

University Web Developers

I have recently been asked to evaluate the Datatel Active Campus system (which runs on Microsoft's SharePoint Server).

I was wondering if any of you have been requested to do the same at your institution(s), and what information you compiled (feature set comparisons, user adoption trends, usability studies, cost comparisons, implementation process comparisons, etc.).

I know...I'm not asking for much, am I? hehe...

Views: 1262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If Datatel Active Admissions is a component of this, you should talk to our colleagues at Montgomery County Community College (PA). I have heard that they have it and have not been very happy with many aspects of the process and product.
Steve, thank you for your reply. I will do just that.
Any word on findings? I was just hired and we are looking to implement that solution(I had nothing to do with it, just arrived on campus last week). any experiences/things to look out for?
Dan,

My understanding is that Datatel has two products called ActiveCampus -- yes, confusing.

One is an enterprise CMS called ActiveAdmissions/ActiveCampus. And AA/AC is based on MS .NET/SQL technology. The other ActiveCampus as your Dan's subject line indicates is a portal. And that one runs on MS SharePoint.

I believe that Montgomery College is using the the enterprise .NET version.
So if people here are talking about ActiveAdmissions, they really mean a new full CMS implementation for the external website including Admissions? Or just the Admissions area?

And if they are saying ActiveCampus "Portal" that is an internal Sharepoint tool that is seperate and more of what you would think a portal would be?

Thanks for your clarification, it is confusing, especially getting thrown into the process and trying to understand the direction of everything when different things are named the same or very similarly.

Dan
Yes.

If you hear ActiveAdmissions associated with Datatel, you can think of it is a module coupled with a full CMS (which they also refer to as ActiveCampus). So, it can serve as the external website, including Admissions. The key is that the Admissions module/portion integrates with Datatel's Colleague database.

And the ActiveCampus "portal," as I understand it, is exactly as you described.

George
Thanks so much for the clarification on this George.

D
We are a Datatel site and have SharePoint for our internet-facing web site. We too are scheduled for an ACP demo.
At this point in time we are moving toward an ActiveCampus "Portal" implementation (to replace our existing WebAdvisor system online for students). Based on the specs I've been given by Datatel, this implementation will involve the "Portal" server to house the ActiveCampus portion, a "SharePoint" server, an indexing server and a MS SQL server. (with indications of several 'portal/web' servers needed for load-balancing for our particular FTE count).

We are told that our implementation of this "Portal" iteration of Datatel's ActiveCampus is scheduled to begin sometime in Jan./Feb. 2010. We are not currently in discussions about the ActiveAdmissions portion of the product, and our existing CMS is OmniUpdate's OU Campus, which we are very happy with.
We've been running the ActiveCampus portal for just over a year now. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them for you.
Are you still using WebAdvisor? It appears that some see the retirement of WA as a natural course of action following an upgrade to ACP (Datatel Portal).

How long, how many FTEs, and how $ in services did the project entail?

Were you already a SharePoint site prior to ACP?
We have been phasing out of WebAdvisor outside the portal -- still using it for our CEU students and former students who don't have portal accounts and need access to transcripts, etc. Current students have to use the portal's version.

Our timeline was pretty short: Spring 2008, we brought up a proof of concept to shop around campus. Once school was out for the summer, we started working on the actual project, which launched the first week of Fall 2008.

We did everything in-house, except for the initial instal of Sharepoint. We have 2 FTE running the portal (actually, about 1.5 FTE, as I also have most of our other web systems to take care of). We do all the design, programming and management of the portal with these 2 people. Most of its content comes from other areas of campus. In addition, we have a database admin. that takes care of all our patches/upgrades (except for ones direct to Sharepoint) .

Our system is currently running 3 front-end MOSS severs, 1 MOSS server that manages search and central admin, 1 database server (SQL), + ISA. This is our first portal (and first experience to Sharepoint).

I wouldn't suggest you can easily do it with only two people. My counterpart is an amazing .net developer. We have transitioned away from many of Datatel's delivered webparts to ones we've built in-house (we wanted better flexibility and performance that we just weren't getting with theirs). We are happy to share code if anyone is interested.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

M. Arthur Ohm is now a member of University Web Developers
16 hours ago
Erin Leavitt commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"A lesson about User Experience from our very own User Experience Design Engineer. Check it out in today's blog post!"
yesterday
Juliana Perry replied to Artur Charukhchyan's discussion Wordpress setup advice needed
"The WP edu list may also be of use to you. http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-edu https://wordpress.org/showcase/tag/education/ shows a range of educational sites; some are higher ed sites using WordPress as their CMS; others are less…"
Tuesday
"OU Campus Developers: There's still time to build and submit your working gadgets to our 2014 Gadget Challenge for a chance to win free registration + travel reimbursement to OUTC15! Learn more about building gadgets in OU Campus by…"
Monday
"Last chance to submit your proposals to present at #OUTC15 "
Oct 17
"A lot of our customers are presenting at HighEdWeb! See who in today's blog post.  "
Oct 16
"Voting has officially begun! Check out the gadget ideas submitted by your higher ed peers and vote for the ones you would like to see incorporated in OU Campus. "
Oct 15
"Happy Tuesday! We are pleased to welcome Nevada State College as the newest addition to the OU Campus user community."
Oct 14
Zack Rosen is now a member of University Web Developers
Oct 14
"Lots to do with this year’s E-Expectations survey. See the discussion in today's blog post."
Oct 13
Jay Massey replied to Cal Anderson's discussion T4 Site Manager Implementation in the group Terminal Four Site Manager
"We just finished our institution-wide, procurement, redesign, development, migration and launch our our university's public web presence with T4 Site Manager. I've been intimately involved in the entire process. AMA... シ Jay"
Oct 13
Jay Massey joined Cal Anderson's group
Thumbnail

Terminal Four Site Manager

For institutions using Terminal Four's (T4) Site Manager CMS.See More
Oct 13
"Only one more week to submit your presentation proposals for a chance to receive free or half-priced registration to OUTC15! "
Oct 10
"Check out Treasure Valley Community College’s new Course Catalog. Excellent work! "
Oct 9
"Please help us welcome to the OmniUpdate family our first new customer of the fall season, Millsaps College!"
Oct 8
"Now you can use the CMS features you know and love in OU Campus to succeed in your institution’s blogging efforts! Find out how in today's blog post. "
Oct 7
Profile IconDiana Muina and Kate Clark joined DNI's group
Thumbnail

Cascade Server CMS

For folks who use (or are interested in) Hannon Hill's Cascade Server CMS productSee More
Oct 7
Profile IconDiana Muina, Kate Clark, Charlie Holder and 2 more joined University Web Developers
Oct 7
Artur Charukhchyan replied to Artur Charukhchyan's discussion Wordpress setup advice needed
"Thank you!"
Oct 6
"OmniUpdate customers are invited to join us Thursday, October 9th at 11AM PDT for a free 30-minute webcast all about Email Campaign Manager! Register now. "
Oct 6

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2014   Created by Mark Greenfield.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service