University Web Developers

University Web Developers

I have recently been asked to evaluate the Datatel Active Campus system (which runs on Microsoft's SharePoint Server).

I was wondering if any of you have been requested to do the same at your institution(s), and what information you compiled (feature set comparisons, user adoption trends, usability studies, cost comparisons, implementation process comparisons, etc.).

I know...I'm not asking for much, am I? hehe...

Views: 1307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If Datatel Active Admissions is a component of this, you should talk to our colleagues at Montgomery County Community College (PA). I have heard that they have it and have not been very happy with many aspects of the process and product.
Steve, thank you for your reply. I will do just that.
Any word on findings? I was just hired and we are looking to implement that solution(I had nothing to do with it, just arrived on campus last week). any experiences/things to look out for?
Dan,

My understanding is that Datatel has two products called ActiveCampus -- yes, confusing.

One is an enterprise CMS called ActiveAdmissions/ActiveCampus. And AA/AC is based on MS .NET/SQL technology. The other ActiveCampus as your Dan's subject line indicates is a portal. And that one runs on MS SharePoint.

I believe that Montgomery College is using the the enterprise .NET version.
So if people here are talking about ActiveAdmissions, they really mean a new full CMS implementation for the external website including Admissions? Or just the Admissions area?

And if they are saying ActiveCampus "Portal" that is an internal Sharepoint tool that is seperate and more of what you would think a portal would be?

Thanks for your clarification, it is confusing, especially getting thrown into the process and trying to understand the direction of everything when different things are named the same or very similarly.

Dan
Yes.

If you hear ActiveAdmissions associated with Datatel, you can think of it is a module coupled with a full CMS (which they also refer to as ActiveCampus). So, it can serve as the external website, including Admissions. The key is that the Admissions module/portion integrates with Datatel's Colleague database.

And the ActiveCampus "portal," as I understand it, is exactly as you described.

George
Thanks so much for the clarification on this George.

D
We are a Datatel site and have SharePoint for our internet-facing web site. We too are scheduled for an ACP demo.
At this point in time we are moving toward an ActiveCampus "Portal" implementation (to replace our existing WebAdvisor system online for students). Based on the specs I've been given by Datatel, this implementation will involve the "Portal" server to house the ActiveCampus portion, a "SharePoint" server, an indexing server and a MS SQL server. (with indications of several 'portal/web' servers needed for load-balancing for our particular FTE count).

We are told that our implementation of this "Portal" iteration of Datatel's ActiveCampus is scheduled to begin sometime in Jan./Feb. 2010. We are not currently in discussions about the ActiveAdmissions portion of the product, and our existing CMS is OmniUpdate's OU Campus, which we are very happy with.
We've been running the ActiveCampus portal for just over a year now. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them for you.
Are you still using WebAdvisor? It appears that some see the retirement of WA as a natural course of action following an upgrade to ACP (Datatel Portal).

How long, how many FTEs, and how $ in services did the project entail?

Were you already a SharePoint site prior to ACP?
We have been phasing out of WebAdvisor outside the portal -- still using it for our CEU students and former students who don't have portal accounts and need access to transcripts, etc. Current students have to use the portal's version.

Our timeline was pretty short: Spring 2008, we brought up a proof of concept to shop around campus. Once school was out for the summer, we started working on the actual project, which launched the first week of Fall 2008.

We did everything in-house, except for the initial instal of Sharepoint. We have 2 FTE running the portal (actually, about 1.5 FTE, as I also have most of our other web systems to take care of). We do all the design, programming and management of the portal with these 2 people. Most of its content comes from other areas of campus. In addition, we have a database admin. that takes care of all our patches/upgrades (except for ones direct to Sharepoint) .

Our system is currently running 3 front-end MOSS severs, 1 MOSS server that manages search and central admin, 1 database server (SQL), + ISA. This is our first portal (and first experience to Sharepoint).

I wouldn't suggest you can easily do it with only two people. My counterpart is an amazing .net developer. We have transitioned away from many of Datatel's delivered webparts to ones we've built in-house (we wanted better flexibility and performance that we just weren't getting with theirs). We are happy to share code if anyone is interested.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Profile IconBen L., John Nathan Parker and Jeffrey Green joined University Web Developers
16 hours ago
Mark Mazelin posted a discussion

Website Translation Services

I've been tasked with getting some of our website translated into Spanish and Chinese. We had some pages translated into Spanish several years ago, but since multi-lingual was not part of our workflow, the content on those pages quickly became out-of-date and were just recently removed from the site.Do any of you have pages translated to other languages? Do you use a 3rd-party service to do it, or someone on campus with those skills? Or an automated service like Google translate?For those of…See More
16 hours ago
Michelle L. Monti replied to Michelle L. Monti's discussion Questioning the Value of College Holiday Videos
"Thanks for responding, Erik! I agree and like your point about it being a different kind of piece without a call to action. Those projects have their place, but is sometimes hard to justify carving out the time for them."
18 hours ago
Erik Hagen replied to Michelle L. Monti's discussion Questioning the Value of College Holiday Videos
"We did one in 2012 and 2013, but not 2014. We initially got caught up in the buzz because everyone was doing them, and it seemed like a fun idea. But this last cycle we were so busy with other projects we couldn't justify carving out the time.…"
19 hours ago
Erik Hagen posted a discussion

Dynamically adding text to a PDF

We're looking for a service or tool that will let employees create their own business card and have a press-ready PDF sent to our print shop. Ideally the employee would type in their info into a form, and that text would be dropped into a predefined PDF template. I know this falls under the "web to print" industry, but I haven't found any workable services yet. Thanks!See More
19 hours ago
Erin Leavitt commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Otero Junior College has gone live with their new responsive website. Design by our partner Donoughe Design. Great work!! www.ojc.edu "
Wednesday
Nursalim Hadi posted a discussion

Web Developer - College of Business - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

WEB DEVELOPER Information Technology College of Business University of Illinois at Urbana-ChampaignSearch ExtendedThe College of Business seeks a Web Developer responsible for the College's web design. The primary focus for this full-time, non-tenured academic professional position will be to leverage available web technologies and services (including a Web CMS), extensive technical skill, and strong independent judgment and decision making skills to architect and implement web sites that…See More
Wednesday
Nursalim Hadi is now a member of University Web Developers
Tuesday
Amber Klaus is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 21
"Looking forward to working with our newest customer Merced College. Welcome to the OmniUpdate family!"
Feb 20
Kevin Hanselman posted a discussion

Webmaster at The Sage Colleges

The Webmaster manages and maintains all aspects of The Sage Colleges’ website, www.sage.edu, as well as Sage’s online presence and e-communications, in order to provide a successful online interaction for our audiences with Sage and to support key enrollment and advancement goals. This full-time administrative position reports to the Senior Director of…See More
Feb 20
"East Los Angeles College has a new responsive website. Looks great! www.elac.edu "
Feb 19
"Everybody's favorite OU Campus trainer gives some great tips on building your own training program in today's blog post. Check it out! "
Feb 18
"Please note that OmniUpdate will be closed this Monday in observance of President's Day. Business will resume on Tuesday at 6:00 AM PST."
Feb 13
"Happy Friday everyone! OU Campus has some new users over at University of Alaska Anchorage. Welcome to the OmniUpdate family!"
Feb 13
"The 2015 OmniUpdate User Training Conference is almost here! See some familiar faces and learn more about the goings-on at the conference in today’s blog post. "
Feb 12
Stephanie Enoch is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 12
Colleen Brennan-Barry replied to Colleen Brennan-Barry's discussion HighEdWeb Announces 2015 Regional Conferences
"We're excited, too -- we know it's going to be a really great few days of learning. Looking forward to seeing you there!"
Feb 11
"Murray State University went live with their new responsive website! Congratulations! www.murraystate.edu ;"
Feb 11
Loren Leonard added a discussion to the group PHP Developers
Thumbnail

Redirect Management Tool

Looking for some advice and hoping you guys might help me out. Do any of you know of a tool or service that will provide an interface to webserver redirect configuration? Looking for a frontend tool that would allow redirects to be configured by non-programmers/developers.While this is likely a php/apache solution I am not opposed to standing up a windows box and doing this via IIS/asp.net. Many thanks!See More
Feb 11

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2015   Created by Mark Greenfield.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service