University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Probably discussed here before, but we are just starting to draft some social media policies.

Does anyone have any thoughts about faculty/staff "friending" students on Facebook? My gut tells me this may not be the best idea. But perhaps I am being a little too cautious.

Have any institutions specifically prohibited it?

Thanks all.

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Speaking as staff I communicate to my group of students through facebook quite often. I run the Web office at my school and utilize a fairly large pool of student labor. Students have exceptionally busy schedules that change very often I have found it to be a valuable tool for communication and in fact we have learned a little more about each other (which definitely has its pluses and minuses). I understand where your question is coming from but I always tend to believe you can make a rule outlawing behavior but there is always an alternative way for someone determined to get in trouble to mess up.

The only advice I would give is to think about the positive benefits of some limited social interactivity versus banning such things. Most schools have policies that govern the interaction between employee's and students already. My best example would be the following.

Example: We have laws that make it illegal to drive erratically whatever the cause of that erratic driving. So if we add a law that specifically prohibits lets just say texting while driving. Didn't the original law state that you must be drive carefully regardless of activity did we need something to point out a particular activity and by pointing out texting is that the same as saying other activities like talking on a phone are now ok?

Ok maybe thats a bad example :) but my point is focus on a larger policy that restricts interactions and let people decide how they want to communicate within the bounds of that agreement.
Thanks Ryan. What you say make a great deal of sense.

Generally I am very bullish about using social media. It the specific befriending component of Facebook that gives me pause for reflection. I guess like you suggested that would fall under policies governing interactions between students and faculty.

Thanks for sharing your insights and observations.
For me, the biggest factor would be who is initiating the friend request. I think it makes a big difference if a student initiates the request vs. a staff/faculty member initiating the request.

If a student initiates it, it would seem less problematic. However, if a staff/faculty member makes a friend request, you would potentially be putting a student in a awkward position. Do they want the person to be able to view their personal profile? Are there any repercussions for saying "no" to the request? Could information viewed by the staff/faculty member be used for disciplinary purposes (e.g., they saw pictures of a student drinking at a party on campus)? What sorts of responsibility would they have to report inappropriate behaviour?

Facebook probably offers better options than becoming "friends" in many situations. A Facebook Group, Page, or Application may better serve both sides and avoid any uncomfortable situations.
Here is a link to a thread on inappropriate communications and SM Policies. http://cuwebd.ning.com/forum/topics/extent-of-university-social?xg_...

I sit on the fence in this discussion because I was within the past couple years on the student side, and now I am on the staff side. I feel there is an appropriate time to friend students and an inappropriate time. If the staff/faculty has a reason to friend besides just having them in class, such as a class project on Facebook or if there is a mutual friendship that has grown out of the relationship, then I would say it's ok. But if it's just because they are in your class then I would say no. I would encourage everyone to think first if anything negative could come out of friending that particular student before accepting or sending a friend request.

It's important to protect both the staff/faculty and the student in policies that are being written. Staff/faculty need to be educated on how to set their privacy settings and that anything that is put up online has the potential to be viewable to everyone. This is one of my favorite videos to illustrate this point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGlrAhtQC24

In my post on the other thread I share what it was like to be friended by a professor (not always good).

Best of luck!
I don't know if this sort of incident will affect your thinking, but figured I'd share:
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/03/02/facebook

A professor was placed on administrative leave because of Facebook postings... and it had to do with privacy settings, not even any direct friendships she had with students. Friends of friends on Facebook could see her posts. As a result, students were able to see her rants because they had befriended other professors at the school (who were, in turn, friends of the disciplined professor).
My opinion on this, and what I've told our admission and retention based offices, is not to friend on Facebook. If there is to be any further, personal interaction with prospects or current students asking for personal information, I'd say you're better off using your university email account for such.

I feel totally different about student workers and such - there, Facebook interactions may be more appropriate.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Sara Arnold commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Wondering how to create your own CMS gadget? Check out today's blog post! "
7 hours ago
"Another new customer! We welcome Clark College to the OmniUpdate family and OU Campus CMS user community!"
yesterday
Profile IconAndy Long, Melba Acevedo and George Fullerton joined University Web Developers
Tuesday
"We warmly welcome Dillard University to the OmniUpdate family! We're excited to have them aboard the OU Campus CMS user train!"
Monday
"We welcome Reynolds Community College to the OU Campus CMS user community! We're excited to have them in the OmniUpdate family!"
Apr 11
Brian Richardson is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 10
"New post up on the blog! Tips from Higher Education Marketing's CEO Philippe Taza on Tackling Higher Ed Digital Marketing Challenges. Give it a read and comment on your top challenges!"
Apr 9
John Jackson commented on Debbie's blog post New ICANN TLDs
"We've identified the domains we want to follow, such as .education (released at the end of March), .college, .university, and .sucks (I'm serious on the last one). The last three listed are still in the evaluation phase.  Just today…"
Apr 9
Brett Sizemore posted a discussion

Interactive Designer

APPLY AT: https://jobs.pepperdine.eduThe Interactive Designer supports Pepperdine's integrated marketing communications efforts aimed at strengthening the brand, elevating national reputation, improving recruitment, and building engagement through creative design across media including web, mobile, broadcast, print, and events.DUTIES: Directly support the creative communications needs of the University through the development and execution of integrated…See More
Apr 8
Brett Sizemore is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 8
Heather Godwin joined Rik Williams's group
Thumbnail

Maps and Mapping

For the discussion of the Mapping of University campuses and facilities from static images to groovy Google mashups.
Apr 7
Profile IconMatt Dana and Heather Godwin joined University Web Developers
Apr 7
Matt Lauer is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 3
"We've got another new customer! We warmly welcome Morehouse School of Medicine to the OmniUpdate family and OU Campus CMS user community!"
Apr 3
"Check out this great video from our friends at University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service promoting their new uaex.edu website!"
Apr 3
"Learn about our 2014 OmniUpdate Customer of the Year in today's blog post! "
Apr 2
John Eastvold joined David Wissore's group
Apr 2
John Eastvold added a discussion to the group ColdFusion
Thumbnail

ColdFusion Web developer Job Just Posted

I just posted a job listing and wanted to bring it to this group's attention.  It is primarily a ColdFusion Developer position.http://cuwebd.ning.com/forum/topics/web-applications-and-systems-developer-administratorSee More
Apr 2
John Eastvold posted a discussion

Web Applications and Systems Developer/Administrator

Posting specificationsOpen to all qualified candidatesCampus LocationDuluth, MNJob TitleWeb Applications and Systems Developer/AdministratorJob GroupStaffJob SummaryThis position is responsible for effectively implementing and administrating the College’s web applications utilizing appropriate tools to assist the College in achieving its strategic initiatives.Key Results/ResponsibilitiesRequired Qualifications- Bachelor’s degree or comparable technical certification, training, and experience.-…See More
Apr 2
Marcus Taylor is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 2

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2014   Created by Mark Greenfield.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service