University Web Developers

University Web Developers

My name is Mark Greenfield and I am the owner and manager of the uwebd social network on Ning.

Ning has recently increased their prices substantially and I need to make a decision about the future of this site.  I have not actively managed or promoted this site for the past several years, other than approving new members and monitoring content. I am willing to put the time and effort into revitalizing and improving this site if there is sufficient interest in the community. 

Please use the comments section on the post to share your thoughts.  I will need to make a decision soon. The price increase for Ning goes into effect October 1.

Views: 1481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Mark, this has been an invaluable resource - particularly for seeing how our cohorts at other institutions approach the problems we all face.

But, as many people have said today, I haven't visited in a while. I think that's likely because we are already inundated with unrelated social media distractions, and barely have time enough to focus on our work. I just don't have time/energy to look for updates in yet one more spot. That said, I like the idea of seeing updates cross my facebook feed, with a historical repository somewhere (perhaps Slack) to search, when I need.

Your efforts have been much appreciated & I look forward to seeing the next evolution.

Best,

Mark

I wouldn't feel obligated to stick with Ning if the cost is a burden. Facebook, LinkedIn, and Slack are all satisfactory options in my opinion. Slack is a great option for more instant communication, and you'll probably find a lot of teams already using it for their own internal communication. Sadly, I didn't realize UWEBD was already on Slack until today.

I would be very sorry to see this resource go. I am just a one person shop at my college and feel quite a alone as far as anyone understanding the complexity of what I do. It's a wonderful thing to see people facing the same challenges I face and to learn from them. I have this page actually as my home page when I start the browser just in case there is something new. Unfortunately as you've highlighted many forums are disappearing since Facebook took over but it really isn't the same experience. I like the idea of linked because it's really grown in the last year and is geared towards professionals. I would prefer to just stay with this site but I am sad there does seem to be less activity.

Thanks for your comments so far.  I few people here and off-line have said they would like to have this site continue. This is definitely an option.  I am confident that I could find another sponsor given that I have been contacted a number of times over the years. The main question is if this site still provides value, and if there is anything that can or should be done to improve the value.

I was a recent addition and did not find too much activity here that I could leverage but LinkedIn does seem to be the logical destination.  Perhaps there is interest here and you can crowd source the migration. Migrating the content could be a real pain, I imagine, but I personally could see some "mutual benefit" to learning something about LinkedIn's API for such things, though learning anything about Ning probably not profitable at this point.

~aw

I want to chime in along with the others in thanking you for being a leader in our niche group! I appreciate your effort. I lean toward LinkedIn. 

Hi Mark, in line with many others who have posted, first a big thank you for providing this resource for so many years. I was a keen reader of it and occasional poster a good few years ago. And I loved my Website Hero mug until I dropped it and had to deprecate it.

It would be good to keep this community going, and inject some new life into it by moving it to another platform. But it would need to be one where people already visit. Uwebd feels like a club I used to visit frequently, but I moved house and don't pass by this way any more.

I've been involved in Slack groups before and they worked well for smaller, very focused groups but became tedious scrolling through endless threads looking for information. My preference would be Facebook. Or at a push LinkedIn, but I'm rarely there and only really on it because I feel that I ought to be, rather than because I find the platform useful.

This is the first time I have been here in a long time. Selfishly, I would hope that you would be able to continue the site, but I understand realities. As I re-acquaint myself, I'm seeing a lot of value in what you have tirelessly built. However, the dominance and prevalence of social media may be the most efficient way to move forward.

What are all of your social media platforms? Thanks and good luck.

I would support using LinkedIn for this group (and have confirmed that I am a member over there).  Generally I  follow highered topics/people on twitter, but long-range/complicated discussions are impossible on that platform. A combo of twitter/linkedin might work. 

Thanks for all you have done with this group. It was a huge asset when I came back to highered and I hope we can keep functioning to help everyone keep evolving.

Cathy

Dear Mark
I would like to join the chorus of thanks and gratitude to you for providing this resource for so long. I fully understand the issue with keeping this site up and would vote for LinkedIn...
Thanks again
Jacqueline Morris
University of Trinidad and Tobago

Yes, I agree. I think LinkedIn is a good option for community. 

Hi Mark,

UWEBD was my favourite resource when I was working at a University IT Department.

I was browsing UWEBD groups and forum and discovering what developers was doing at other universities abroad. Being in a community, which consist of members who have similar titles & dealing with similar problems was a good opportunity for me.

I saw your mail and felt sad.

I suggest you setting up an campaign for sustainable crowdfunding on www.patreon.com. This money can be used for any paid platform, migration or maybe advertising.

Thanks for your effords and Thank you all, folks, for your contributions.

Tuncay
ex-University Web Developer

twitter.com/trkaplan

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Colleen Brennan-Barry posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2017 Early-Bird Pricing available through July 31

It’s the last week get HighEdWeb 2017 early-bird registration pricing! When you register for the Annual Conference by the end of Monday, July 31, you save $100 — and who doesn’t love that?!Register by July 31 to save $100…See More
Tuesday
Lauren Zakich commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Upcoming webcast: Join Angela Cavaliere from Montgomery County Community College as she demonstrates how to perform user testing to improve overall web experience. Register today!"
Jul 12
Michael E Matzkin joined Mark Greenfield's group
Thumbnail

WordPress

This group is for all those using WordPress as both a blogging platform and as a CMS
Jul 10
Dan Bashaw commented on Mark Greenfield's group WordPress
"Hi Samuel – WordPress will be a good choice for this kind of project. Can you let us know more about what features you are thinking of adding? It seems to me that a combination of a WordPress site and tightly integrated social media channels…"
Jun 29
Samuel Omotoso commented on Mark Greenfield's group WordPress
"I am just joining this platform and i started using wordpress lately. My interest is building and interactive alumni and membership site for my university. Any willing to help out?"
Jun 29
Samuel Omotoso joined Mark Greenfield's group
Thumbnail

WordPress

This group is for all those using WordPress as both a blogging platform and as a CMS
Jun 29
Samuel Omotoso is now a member of University Web Developers
Jun 28
"Functionality of your website should be your foundation, but design is an important next step. See how design enhances your site in part two of this series. "
Jun 26
David Luhr posted a discussion

Digital Content Manager at Westminster College

Westminster College in Salt Lake City, UT is looking for a talented Digital Content Manager. Join our Agile web team and manage content for our high-traffic website, which recently won Sitefinity's Website of the Year 2016 award.View the full job description and apply today: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/westminstercollege/jobs/1767574/digital-content-managerSee More
Jun 15
"Implementing a content governance plan, complete with workflows and approvals, is essential when building a digital strategy for your site. Register for our upcoming webcast with Stamats to learn best practices for content governance. "
Jun 15
"Web accessibility is an important aspect of any website. But where do you start when it comes to making your higher ed site accessible? Read on to see how easy it is to begin. "
Jun 14
"Using redirects on your site when change occurs can help with SEO. Find out more about how to handle reorganization and redirection in our latest blog post. "
Jun 1
Johnathan F Kelly is now a member of University Web Developers
Jun 1
Debbie joined Mark Greenfield's group
Thumbnail

WordPress

Jun 1
Thumbnail

Accessibility

This group is for all those interested in Web Accessibility.See More
Jun 1
Jun 1
"Change is inevitable, and you want to make sure your content is still consistent after you reorganize your site. Check out the importance of using dependency tags in OU Campus to make sure both your site visitors and search engines can still find…"
May 25
Allison Howard is now a member of University Web Developers
May 19
"Planning a dream kitchen is like redesigning a website. It's easy to change the colors, but if the content doesn't provide what users need, your site visitors will not find value. So where do you start?"
May 12
"When thinking about valuable content for your higher ed site, try testimonials and quotes to attract prospective students. Download the latest E-Expectations report today. "
May 11

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2017   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service