I've noticed in the past year or two that third party commenting systems are becoming a lot more popular on blogs that I've been reading, and I was wondering if anyone else in higher ed was using things like this in their news or blogs.
The big selling points of using these systems seem to be (from the above link):
- Automatically using gravatars (http://en.gravatar.com/) to show a person's image when they leave a comment, based solely on their entered email address. This makes the conversation more personal and friendly.
- Threaded commenting. Who is responding to who?
- SPAM filtering.
- Social media integration and community building.
A few of the major players (I've seen Disqus in more places than the others):
So, if anyone is already doing this, here are my questions:
- Which one of these services are you using?
- Do your visitors and content authors find it easy to use?
- Would it be easy to get your comments out and switch to something else if you needed to in the future?
- Any other warnings you would give to someone who is thinking about doing this?