University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Our college is looking at offering a URL shortening service. If your college/university has implemented a URL shortening service, can you share your experience?

1. Can you tell me what prompted your college to develop the URL shortener? We’re discussing it now and there are several people who have asked why we don’t just use a 301 redirect.

2. Our plan was to offer the URL shortener to only staff through the portal, but I notice the University of Nebraska - Lincoln URL shortener application is public. Can you share your university’s thoughts on the public vs. private URL shortener?

3. What requirements did your users have for the URL shortener? We’ve looked at cli.gs and bit.ly as our models, and like the feature that cli.gs offers of being able to change the page link after the URL has been created.

Deborah Edwards-Onoro
Web Services
Washtenaw Community College
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Views: 903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At the moment we do shorten it to monash.edu/text but it has to be requested and approved and is usually for campaigns.

Otherwise, I use ow.ly as part of Hootsuite and bit.ly, just so that that we can still keep track of and measure click-throughs.
Great thread, and very timely (even though the original is a year old...)

Ohio State University is about to launch a URL shortening service for our faculty, staff, and students. I was wondering if anyone has considered a "Terms of Service" agreement for the URL shortening service. Bitly and others have this, and I wondered what your thoughts are on the need for a university to provide this/protect itself.

-don't violate copyright, -don't link to malware, -don't post libelous, profane, illegal content, etc...
What about bit.ly Pro? You have to make a request for their Pro service and then you can create your own branded URL shortener. I *think* UCLA created their URL shortener through the bit.ly Pro platform: http://www.ucla.edu/uclain/

I just got granted a Pro account but haven't had a chance to set it up -- anyone else's thoughts on bit.ly Pro?
Hi Naveen. Yes, UCLA partnered with bit.ly Pro to create http://ucla.in. We also created our own API so that developers could use http://ucla.in in a more automated fashion as well.

bit.ly Pro is free and the development time is relatively quick to implement. We've had great feedback and usage from it.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.takadesigns.com/blog/2010/02/22/creating-a-custom-brande...
We created our own here at FHU. We did it primarily to have an "fhu.edu" address when shortening URLs for our social media outlets.

Ours is public, but we just don't advertise it outside of our campus community. We also added an API to it so it could be integrated with other web projects and our CS students could use it if they wished. fhu.edu/s
At Naz we implemented go.naz.edu in Django. It was one of the simplest Django projects ever. We demonstrated it at the HighEdWeb conference in 2009 and made the source code available. (pardon the archaic design).

go.naz.edu is for internal consumers to be able to create short URLs for specific campaigns. The system records who created the URL, which is useful when there is a contentious slug (the word "global" is very popular), and slugs can be set to "expire" after a campaign has ended.
I have been looking into creating our own service - so I have been reading this with interest. Some good pointers.

I had started my own research with this article
http://lifehacker.com/5335216/make-your-own-url-shortening-service

Is anyone, using the shortener for only faculty and staff, using CAS to authenticate?

Are you limiting them to your .edu URLs/site for shortening?

Are you automating URL shortening when someone uses a service like bit.ly to use your tinyURL instead of the bit.ly?

Thanks,

Debbie

(always late to the party)

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Trisha Salas joined Mark Greenfield's group
Thumbnail

Accessibility

This group is for all those interested in Web Accessibility.See More
15 hours ago
Rachel Mele commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Join us April 14-18 in Anaheim for our 2019 OmniUpdate User Training Conference! #OUTC19 "
Thursday
"A website redesign is about more than how your site looks; it should also take into consideration how your site engages visitors. #StartWithTheCMS "
Wednesday
"If you’re ready to make the redesign move, check out these 5 posts to help get you started"
Tuesday
"Join us for our next webcast with Jenny Slaughter from NewCity to learn about atomic design! "
Dec 7
"Being able to engage with prospective students however they access your website is the primary reason for going responsive, but there are several other important issues that a responsive site addresses. "
Dec 6
"In a website redesign, if you take time to really evaluate existing content and your content plan up front, you’ll avoid mistakes that can cost you time and resources later on. "
Nov 29
"According to the 2018 E-Expectations Trend Report, nothing turns off a potential student faster than a hard-to-navigate site or forms that take forever to fill out. "
Nov 27
Jessie Groll posted a discussion

Front End Web Developer, with Option for Flexible Work Arrangement, at Indiana University of Pennsylvania

Indiana University of Pennsylvania is looking for a talented front-end web developer to join our growing team in the Marketing and Communications Division. This position offers the possibility of a flexible work arrangement with candidates being able to telecommute up to 3 days a week.The front-end Web Developer works to support and enhance the IUP website and other digital properties and communications. Using CSS, HTML, scripting languages, and other tools the web developer is responsible for…See More
Nov 27
"According to the 2018 E-Expectations Trend Report, of the 67% of high school seniors and 68% of juniors who saw paid ads for colleges and universities, 41% of seniors and 45% of juniors actually CLICKED on the paid ads. "
Nov 20
Laura Peil is now a member of University Web Developers
Nov 17
"Does customer service matter when choosing a CMS? Just ask Sherri Davis, webmaster at Gulf Coast State College in Panama City, Florida. #HurricaneMichael"
Nov 16
"There’s no need to hire a pricey consultant to tell you if your college or university website is performing. Just ask your students. "
Nov 13
Jessie Groll posted a discussion

Thoughts on "part-time work from home" for a web developer?

This isn't a posting for a job (but hopefully that will be coming soon!)We are looking to hire a new web developer, and have gotten the OK from HR to offer this with the possibility of working from home a few days of the week, and in the office the other days. We're hoping to draw in some more candidates from outside of our local area. This is only the second position at our institution that is not fully on site, so we're in uncharted territory!I'm curious to know, does anyone work part-time…See More
Nov 12
"Join us for our next webcast with Stephen Fornal from Tarrant County College and learn how to simplify web layouts with CSS Grid and Flexbox! "
Nov 8
"Congrats to Robin Oliver of Western Carolina University for being named the 2018 AMA Higher Education Marketer of the Year! "
Nov 7
"There is a simple way to advise content contributors about writing content for your school’s website: “Go with the Flow.”"
Nov 6
Jon Shaw posted a discussion

The .app domain

Have any schools jumped on board the .app domain?See More
Nov 5
"Check out these 5 steps to conducting a successful website pilot content audit"
Nov 2

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2018   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service