Mount Holyoke College is considering options for centralizing and standardizing our approach to managing and delivering Web-based media including images, video, and audio, with delivery mechanisms to include galleries, slide shows, embedded players, and podcasts. Before starting a large new project in this area we wanted to survey how our peer institutions are approaching these challenges.
This informal survey will be posted in several places (I apologize to those of you who will see it more than once) and I'll be following up to share our results.
We'd be grateful for any responses to these questions:
1) Does your institution presently use self-service tools to allow your users to upload and publish media files online? If so, what tools are used, and are they hosted in-house or are they external tools (such as Flickr or YouTube)?
2) Does your institution presently provide a staffed service point for the preparation and publication of media files online?
3) If you have neither self-service tools nor a service point, how do you currently handle the specific needs of video, audio, and image publication online?
4) Does your institution use a Web content management system? If so, which one, and do you find its tools for media support useful? Do you use other tools to integrate media into pages published by your CMS?
5) Does your institution use a learning management system? If so, which one, and do you find its tools for media support useful? Do you use other tools to integrate media into pages published by your LMS?
6) Does your institution make use of blogs and social networking communities? If so, which ones, and do you find their tools for media support useful? Do you use other tools to integrate media into blogs and social networking?
7) If your institution has other digital asset management tools in use (as library systems or elsewhere) do you make any use of these systems to directly host or manage content on your websites? Do you provide any integration between these digital asset management tools and web-specific media tools?