University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Anyone have a good resource for benchmark bounce rate data for higher ed?

I've heard/seen anywhere between 20 - 50% without a lot of backup to support.

Anyone willing to share their site-wide bounce rate?

Views: 563

Replies to This Discussion

Sarah,

I think this would depend on what everyone is able to define as 'site-wide'.

We have a number of critical applications that are inside our ecosystem of sites, but are not covered by our GA implementation. Technically, someone landing on one of our pages and then clicking on of those apps would be considered a bounce.

In order to have some sort of benchmark, you'd need to have the same standards for all the data.

I also feel it's important to segment the data and see how bounce rate is different for those segments. Just breaking down by Medium, I see a 12 point difference in our stats - with one segment having a significant influence on the overall average.

While benchmarking is always a good thing to do, making sure we're comparing apples to apples is not always easy.

I think if folks are sharing bounce rates, it would help to know what the "coverage" is for the measurement.

TS

ps - here's a link to generate a custom report showing bounces by medium: http://bit.ly/H9HK00

HI Tim,

Yes, we have similar issues with our "ecosystem" as well as a compounding issue of our internal folks not being filtered out due to a dynamic IP for our network - so to say the waters are muddy here is a bit of an understatement.

For my narrow purposes on this post, I define "site-wide" as traffic on the external "prospecting" website and NOT an internal portal, CRM systems, databases, etc.

I'll keep chipping away at this one! Thanks!!

PS - that custom bounce report was awesome. Thanks so much for sharing it with me.

For my narrow purposes on this post, I define "site-wide" as traffic on the external "prospecting" website and NOT an internal portal, CRM systems, databases, etc.

Then you would definitely need to do some sort of segmenting to eliminate traffic that is going to those areas of your site.

What we've found through tracking visitor behaviour is that "internal" users are much more likely to be direct traffic. These are the users that do the majority of clicking on links to internal apps.

This is why I suggested starting with the medium segmenting of bounce rates.

Some of the more valuable segments for judging bounce rates are the email, organic search and paid search sources.

Have you tried using the "Service Provider" dimension as a way to flag internal visitors?

Yes the service provider exclude does help. :)

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

German Vargas is now a member of University Web Developers
Nov 13
Rachel Burt joined Lynn Zawie's group
Thumbnail

OmniUpdate

Share your experiences using OmniUpdate CMS
Oct 30
Rachel Burt is now a member of University Web Developers
Oct 27
Will Gwin is now a member of University Web Developers
Oct 25
Todd Easter is now a member of University Web Developers
Oct 17
Profile IconJulia Easton and KATE KWAME joined University Web Developers
Oct 13
Bill Hartley posted a discussion

Job Interview Presentation Ideas

Has anyone ever asked job candidates to do a presentation as part of the interview process? We're in the process of searching for a web director, and are looking for some ideas.See More
Oct 6
Gabriel Nagmay is now a member of University Web Developers
Oct 3
Bill Hartley posted discussions
Oct 2
Geoffrey Campbell is now a member of University Web Developers
Sep 27
Colleen Brennan-Barry posted a discussion

NOW HIRING: Operations Director

Position Title:Operations Director of the Higher Education Web Professionals Association Position Overview:Reporting to the President of the Higher Education Web Professionals Association (www.highedweb.org), the Operations Director is responsible for coordinating the day-to-day operations of the Association and its volunteers. The Operations Director will work with the Board of Directors to facilitate the implementation of a strategic plan, and lay the…See More
Sep 18
Lauren Zakich commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Upcoming webcast: Join Robin Kelly from the University of Texas at Tyler as she shares tips and tricks to improve productivity as a web professional. Register today!"
Sep 11
Eloine Chapman replied to Eloine Chapman's discussion Should we migrate to https?
"Thanks Barb!"
Sep 1
Eloine Chapman replied to Eloine Chapman's discussion Should we migrate to https?
"Thanks Jason!"
Sep 1
Elizabeth Hyde-Copeland is now a member of University Web Developers
Aug 30
Gavin Younger is now a member of University Web Developers
Aug 24
Lauren Zakich commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Our 2018 OmniUpdate User Training Conference will be held in Anaheim on March 25 - 29! Speak at OUTC and you could receive free registration. Submit your proposal today!"
Aug 18
Jason Brady replied to Eloine Chapman's discussion Should we migrate to https?
"We have started the move to make all our sites HTTPS. With our InCommon membership (paid by our State Chancellor's Ofice), we get free certificates, so there is no ongoing costs. In 2014, Google said they give some SEO bumps to HTTPS sites.…"
Aug 18
Profile IconMichael Harvey, Bill Hartley and Jeff Dobbin joined University Web Developers
Aug 18
Barb Iannucci replied to Eloine Chapman's discussion Should we migrate to https?
"Yep, I got the same messages. Some of our sites use SSL and we've been talking about migrating all the rest our sites for a while now. I suspect we will be doing it rather than just talking about it sooner rather than later now. :\"
Aug 18

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2017   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service