University Web Developers

University Web Developers

multi-site find and replace to go from beta to live site causes no style sheet on one site

Hi All,

We are in the middle of launching our new website and we've hit a snag-

We changed the domain from our beta. site to www for going live- used the following script:

http://interconnectit.com/124/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-data...

Beta.domain changed to domain

http://beta.domain to http://www.domain

We now have one site (library !!!!!! ) that has no style sheet attached to it. Others sites are missing the header images, some links are broken. Main site seems to be OK.

Are there any known issues or anyone had a similar experience that can help point us in the right direction? We think the find and replace is part of the issue, but we are pretty stumped right now.

Thanks!!

Tags: and, database, find, multisite, mysql, no, replace, sheet, style, troubleshooting

Views: 336

Replies to This Discussion

Eric- Thank you so much. I can't tell you how helpful you've been. We will go through all these recommendations and get to the bottom of it eventually!

Sarah - From what I've heard it's probably either one of two things.

1. a problem with the .htaccess file. either the Rewrite base is incorrect, or the rules Eric highlighted above are incorrect.

2. the search and replace query wasn't specific enough, or the script itself timed out.  What were the exact 'old' and 'new' urls you used for the query?

Thank you, Cara. I really appreciate all your help. I'm not sure but as soon as our Web Coordinator has a second I'll have him take a look at this thread and see what he can make of it all, and hopefully give you more info to go on.

Sarah,

What's showing in the outputted source code? Is the stylesheet not being included at all, or is it looking in the wrong directory?

Eric

I'm getting our Web Coordinator on here to give you the info you need.

You need to check all your theme files.  There are beta urls in those files need to be updated as well.  I think that's where most of your problems are coming from. Most importantly your header.php and footer.php and stylesheets, but I'd check them all.

You'll need to manually update URLS in your widgets as well, as those aren't covered by the script either. (ie. your text/HTML widgets that are used in the footer).

For Example:

File: http://mwcc.edu/access/wp-content/themes/thesis_182/custom-27/layou...

-Custom Header URL image needs to be update

Cara- Many Thanks. Have a great night and I will look forward to posting an "progress update" tomorrow. :)

Good Morning Cara- We figured out that in trying to set up a cpanel redirect for an existing virtual domain (for the library) that interfered with the file structure etc and caused the disconnect with the library files. We resolved everything over the weekend and are about the flip the final switch and go to the new site. Thanks again for your very helpful assistance. It made a huge difference!

No problem, happy to help!  Congrats on the launch!

Eric- Thanks for all your help last week. We did resolve our problem and got everything up and running. a virtual domain was interfering with the existing /library files....... Have a great week!!!

Cool, glad you got it figured out!

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Emily Burns is now a member of University Web Developers
yesterday
Erin Leavitt commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Learn all about OU Campus Custom Dictionaries in today’s blog post. Plus, get some Pro Tips on how to best use them! "
Thursday
Andrew Breshears is now a member of University Web Developers
Thursday
"Fayetteville Technical Community College went live with their responsive website. Check it out! www.faytechcc.edu"
Wednesday
Profile IconDaniel Messina, Janey A and Mandi Hix joined University Web Developers
Tuesday
"Congratulations to J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College for going live in OU Campus v10! www.reynolds.edu"
Tuesday
"Show support for your peers in the OU Campus community by voting for their sites in the eduStyle Higher-ed Web Awards. (To vote, you must be registered with eduStyle.)  Cast your votes for the institutions below: University of…"
Monday
"Read about what Jim Heiney learned from attending the OmniUpdate User Training Conference in today's blog post!"
Dec 12
Ross French is now a member of University Web Developers
Dec 12
"Happy Friday! We have a new addition to our OU Campus CMS community. Please welcome Southwest Baptist University!"
Dec 12
Jim Kirby is now a member of University Web Developers
Dec 10
"Joining the OmniUpdate family from Chicago Heights, Illinois is Prairie State College. Welcome!"
Dec 5
Profile IconSteve Jones and Kelsey Johnson joined University Web Developers
Dec 5
"Have you heard? Registration is open for #OUTC15! Read more about the conference in this week's blog post. "
Dec 4
tom krupa is now a member of University Web Developers
Dec 2
"It's the last week to submit for your chance to present a Topic Table at OUTC15! Review the possible topics and fill out a Speaker Submission Form by Friday, December 5."
Dec 1
Katharina Lehner is now a member of University Web Developers
Dec 1
Michael Lupi posted a discussion

Front-end Web Developer at Tufts University

Department Summary: Digital Communications, a department under University Relations, is responsible for creating and implementing the university's top-level digital communications strategy; managing internal and external online communications channels; and developing content, tools and services for Tufts.edu and related sites. Our audiences include students, prospective students, parents, alumni, faculty, staff, donors and external media.The team manages the university's homepage and upper…See More
Nov 26
Michael Lupi is now a member of University Web Developers
Nov 26
"OmniUpdate will be closed tomorrow and Friday for the Thanksgiving holiday. Business will resume as usual on Monday. We wish you all a happy holiday!"
Nov 26

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2014   Created by Mark Greenfield.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service