University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Actually I am not a developer but I have started working as a web project leader in a newly-established university.

At the moment we have a website which is pretty static and we do not have a CMS. We have started working on a project to build a new website to meet our requirements and also choose a cms.

Since I don't have a technical background, I can only relate to what I read on the web. In our IT dept, .net is mostly used but for the website we think of using php.

My research was concentrated on the open-source cms and as far as I get, Drupal and Joomla are pretty good options. Plone seems to be widely used too but I read it is not easy for the developers to solve how to use it. OmniUpdate is targeted at universities specially and it is proprietary but it seems for example Drupal is a better product.

The cms world seems very wide so I feel I am lost a bit. Do you have any advices for me, as in proprietary, open-source and even .net cms products?

I know I sound vague but I used to work in an interactive web agency before and this is my first university experience. So I have just started learning the needs of an university and in this vast sea of cms products, I find it very hard to choose the right products to shortlist.

Thank you very much. :)

Özge

Views: 191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think sticking with asp .net is going to be the safe solution. Personally I am a PHP developer and use concrete5.org it very customizable. I would say it requires an advanced php developer for developing. But the finished product is easier for the client/teacher/faculty member to use and understand.

Sometimes the features of drupel are its downfall. If you give a user to many choices you can overwhelm them.

Well in short I like concrete5.org
We had started off with Drupal in our minds but as we looked into the whole thing deeper, it seems we are getting more into Silverstripe and Typo3.

But I will also check concrete5.org to see how it is.
I think you guys should consider checking out DotNetNuke (DNN). You mentioned on the 24th of November that most of your IT department are .NET developers with one PHP guy. This wouldn't put a PHP solution right at the top of my list.

With most of your basic requirements are taken care of:
1.) SEO Friendly
2.) Online forms
3.) Password authentication with varying levels of security, the ability to establish roles, and use Active Directory authentication if you already have this system in place
4.). There is a simple newsletter module built in, we use a solution from Onyaktech however that has been working very nicely.
5.) Everything you mention in your Other Requirements is handled by the core installation, no additional modules necessary.

Not to mention that there are hundreds of commercial modules (snap in functionality) available to expand the platform functionality. Also, since the platform is open source you (your IT staff) can develop your own modules to give your site the specific functionality that you need.

We are in the early stages of a DNN implementation at our University. I've worked with DNN for a couple of years now on various projects. I've also worked with Drupal, phpNuke, and Joomla, but I have yet to run across anything with the power, core functionality, and expansiveness of DotNetNuke. It's fully localized and has complete theming or skinning capabilities.

One of the benefits, as I see it, is that the company that develops DNN has recently moved into the corporation realm, they now have funding for development, and while their current plans are to keep their platform free and open source, they will be opening up commercial support for faster response to questions and issues.

Your main expense in launching a DotNetNuke solution will be in your server software as you'll need licenses for MS Windows Server & MS SQL Server 2005. I've read about a database provider that will allow you to run the platform on Windows and Oracle, however, I have not tried it, many changes would have to be made.

I think it is definitely worth your time to look into DotNetNuke to see what you think, if for no other reason than to set up a demo copy.

Good Luck,
Chris G

Links:
==============
DotNetNuke: http://www.dotnetnuke.com
Commercial Modules: http://www.snowcovered.com
Chris, thank you very much for the suggestion. I will share it with the IT guys. Can I ask you something? I keep hearing .net is not as flexible as php and it is also harder to apply the design (which will be outsourced to a web agency) to .net than php.

What do you think about this?

P.S I'll be off to Argentina for hols tomorrow and won't be around till 14th, so might not write in this period. Thanks in advance. :)
I've heard it before also, but I have yet to come across an instance where it isn't. With the .NET framework, with the exception actual Windows Interfaces (off the top of my head), you can accomplish nearly every task in ASP.NET that you could if you were writing a Windows desktop application.

The only difference I see in flexibility is what operating system the website is run on. The .NET framework must be run in a Windows environment. PHP can run under Linux or Windows operating systems, which inherently will lower your overall cost for initial setup as Linux is free. The .NET framework is also free, however you'll have to have a license for Windows Server. To develop your own custom modules, you'll need licenses for Visual Studio .NET 2005, but as you mentioned previously your IT department is comprised of primarily .NET programmers, that shouldn't be an issue.

As far as applying the design goes, there is a slight learning curve when it comes to developing skins for the DotNetNuke platform. It is not overly difficult, however, problems can sometimes arise from incorrect HTML in the template, small adjustments (as generally expected) in the stylesheets. If you demo DotNetNuke and decide it is a viable option, you're best bet for skin development is to seek out a company that specializes in DNN skinning. The SnowCovered link I provided in my previous post for commercial modules has a great many prebuilt skins for sale as well, I encourage you to look through them to see who has a style that looks like it would fit your site and possibly contact the developers for a custom solution.

I have also heard of it being a little difficult to apply designs or themes to standard ASP.NET websites, I believe Microsoft has their own theming engine, this is not necessarily the case with DotNetNuke as it comes with it's own "skinning" engine built in, with it's own structure for skins.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Thanks for the fast answer. For the design bit, it is hard to find an agency that develops skins for DNN.
I am in Turkey, so it is not feasible to get support from abroad. And the web agencies here mostly concentrate on campaigns, advergames etc. Most corporate websites don't use a cms and there are a few companies which develop their own cms but that is too risky to choose since there is no way that we will know it will be a good experience working with the agency we choose.

I will still share this option with the guys.

Thanks lots.
Özge
Have you guys ever had any experience of Mysourcematrix?

It is (kind of) opensource and it increasingly being picked up over here in the UK - it's certainly something I shall be looking into.
Actually yes we had looked into it as well but it needs an oracle or postgres database and we use php so we had to eliminate it.

We chose Silverstripe at the end.

Cheers :)

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Profile IconTracey Vellidis and Mikey Greenland joined University Web Developers
Jan 14
Sara Kisseberth posted a discussion

Archived magazine stories

Greetings,What are you all doing online with "old" magazine stories? Do you delete issues after so  many years? 5 years? 10? I'm torn between keeping all on for historical purposes or keeping just a few years online to simplify the site (ala Gerry McGovern.) Curious as to what you see best practices being.ThanksSara KisseberthBluffton Universitywww.bluffton.eduSee More
Jun 10, 2020
Erin Jorgensen posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2020 Accessibility Summit

The HighEdWeb 2020 Accessibility Summit is a one-day, online conference about digital accessibility in higher education happening June 25, 2020, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. CDT.Join in to learn best practices, share stories and connect with your higher ed peers on topics including social media accessibility, web development, user experience and more. Sessions are designed to boost knowledge at every level, from accessibility beginners to technical experts. Conference registration is $25, with…See More
May 29, 2020
Erin Jorgensen is now a member of University Web Developers
May 29, 2020
Christine Boehler posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2020 Annual Conference - ONLINE

October 19-20, 2020https://2020.highedweb.org/#HEWeb20     Join us ONLINE for HighEdWeb 2020, the conference created by and for higher education professionals across all departments and divisions. Together we explore and find solutions for the unique issues facing digital teams at colleges and universities. In 2020, the Conference will be held completely online, offering multiple tracks of streamed presentations, live…See More
May 3, 2020
Sara Arnold commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Throughout April, we're hosting webcasts exploring how colleges and universities across North America are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Register for the series today! https://bit.ly/2xsXhK9"
Apr 13, 2020
Christelle Lachapelle is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 6, 2020
"Download our latest white paper to learn how the demographics of today’s higher ed learners are shifting, and how schools can adapt to meet the needs of these new learners. https://bit.ly/2wTKdgB"
Mar 31, 2020
"Join our next webcast with Amrit Ahluwalia from The EvoLLLution to learn about the new "modern learner" in higher education. https://bit.ly/2UuDh2I"
Mar 30, 2020
"As we ride out the latest developments and impact of the coronavirus, there's no better time than now to learn the three Bs of crisis planning. http://bit.ly/2ITVkc2"
Mar 16, 2020
"Is your college or university prepared to meet the challenges that come with disasters and emergencies like the coronavirus? Learn how your CMS can help. http://bit.ly/2TUZUM8"
Mar 12, 2020
"Can’t afford the time and money to launch a comprehensive guided pathways model? Register for our FREE webcast to learn tricks for simulating a digital guided pathways experience."
Feb 21, 2020
"With college enrollment decreasing for the 8th year in a row, boosting your college or university marketing efforts is more important than ever. Here's how to get started. http://bit.ly/2vTQAzz"
Feb 20, 2020

HighEdWeb 2020 Annual Conference

October 18-21, 2020 in Little Rock, Arkansas, USAhttps://2020.highedweb.org/#HEWeb20     Join us for HighEdWeb 2020, the conference created by and for higher education professionals across all departments and divisions. Together we explore and find solutions for the unique issues facing digital teams at colleges and universities. With 100+ diverse sessions, an outstanding keynote presentation, intensive workshops, and engaging networking events,…See More
Feb 19, 2020

HighEdWeb 2020 Call for Proposals is Open!

The 2020 Annual Conference of the Higher Education Web Professionals Association (HighEdWeb) will travel to Little Rock, Arkansas, this October 18-21 — and the call for proposals is now open! As a digital professional in higher education, we know you have great ideas and experiences to share. From developers, marketers and programmers to managers, designers, writers and all team members in-between, HighEdWeb provides valuable professional development for all who want to explore the unique…See More
Feb 14, 2020
Christine Boehler shared Sara Clark's discussion on Facebook
Feb 14, 2020
Christine Boehler is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 14, 2020
Brian Bell joined Kevin Daum's group
Feb 14, 2020
Brian Bell joined Mark Greenfield's group
Feb 14, 2020
Kenneth George is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 13, 2020

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2021   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service