University Web Developers

University Web Developers

Long time lurker, first time poster. I hope that you have experiences that you will share with us. Our university (University of North Texas) is creating an iTunesU site but it is difficult finding data on how useful it really is for our audiences and for our communication strategy. We know that academic course content can be extremely relevant for our students. But the video and podcasting content that is showcased and publically available is another matter. If you have any thoughts about the questions below, I would love to hear them.

1) Do any of you have any hard data on the visitation and subscription rates for content (video, podcasts, etc)?

2) Do you have any advice on what types of content seem to be the most successful to showcase for your public audiences?

3) Who is the gatekeeper for your public side (if you have one)?

4) What are the key lessons that you have learned about creating and managing a successful iTunesU presence?

5) What type of staff would you recommend to support video on campus?

Views: 37

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Texas Tech University:
1. I think I can pull that data, would prefer to send it offline.

2. The "fun" pieces are the most popular.

3. Comm&marketing (us) manage the entire site, and we have not moved forward with a private side yet.

4. Key lessons: the initial contract was very difficult to get through legal; we have not been successful with a private side because of lack of buy in from the academic side of the house; assign responsibility to a single point person;

5. Hard to say, we have a broadcast bureau of 2 videographers + 1 producer who do "our" video, course video is independently produced by faculty.
I have been now for about 2 months trying to get the Service Agreement signed by Apple. My understanding is that they have agreed to the addendum that we sent back, but I haven't gotten the paperwork back yet.

We are starting with a public only site as we haven't had the interest yet for a private site.
We finally got through the mass of paperwork and legal issues (a pain) but now are in the strategic phase for content.
We're just about to launch an iTunes U site... while I'm involved, I'm not the lead and haven't been as involved in the ongoing discussions with Apple. I know they have a lot of data they can share with you.

Our Public Affairs and Communications office is acting as gatekeeper for creating collections, but we're delegating the responsibility of posting content to the content owners - communications folks in colleges, institutes, etc.

We talked with schools who had been doing this for a while to answer some of these questions... Duke, Stanford, and Emory served as models in different ways.
Just went live in Jan and an interesting experience.

1) Yes and in general we find that there is a significant increase in traffic for included content, especially if it get's promotion from Apple. Suffice to say there is general satisfaction that the results justify the effort. For now anyway!

2) Interesting question - content specifically created for the channel seems to be more effective though lectures that are genuinely 'stand out' also do well. I think it's a question of applying a good editorial eye (ear?) to materials to ensure that what is going up does your institution justice. Fun stuff is good, but needs credible content to back it up. Note that you cannot win the argument for involvement with academics and senior management on fun stuff alone. That is not to say that you cannot be creative in your treatment of more serious material, and I would encourage thinking beyond lecture theaters, just that you have to remember that you need to build a case internally as well as meet the demands of users. Don't underestimate your audiences.

3) Comms office provides the gatekeeper for now - whether this remains to be the case we will see. It needs that sort of stewardship in the first instance. However, I could not do his without significant academic input and support from the elearning community. This has been an all hands exercise and has probably done more to break down barriers between elearning, IT, comms and the academic community in this area than anything else I can think of. It's been a great catalyst for encouraging action and engagement across the board towards a clearly defined and coherent goal.

4) It needs a champion to drive it and organise it. You have to go into it with a strong sense of why you are doing it and how you are going to achieve it and bang the drum over and over again. A lot of people won't get it and a strong vision will get it across. It does take resource and effort and the real concern should not be launch but launch+1 +2 +3 +4 and so on.

On a practical level watch out for the metadata and make sure you quiz your Apple contact for lots of help on how to get that bit right.

5) We have a pro producer and camera/editor who are focussed on creating content specifically for the channel backed by a lot of academics and students working on their own content. This is supported by skills training and practical workshops to share best practice and introduce new techniques and tools.

RSS

Elsewhere

Latest Activity

Profile IconTracey Vellidis and Mikey Greenland joined University Web Developers
Jan 14
Sara Kisseberth posted a discussion

Archived magazine stories

Greetings,What are you all doing online with "old" magazine stories? Do you delete issues after so  many years? 5 years? 10? I'm torn between keeping all on for historical purposes or keeping just a few years online to simplify the site (ala Gerry McGovern.) Curious as to what you see best practices being.ThanksSara KisseberthBluffton Universitywww.bluffton.eduSee More
Jun 10, 2020
Erin Jorgensen posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2020 Accessibility Summit

The HighEdWeb 2020 Accessibility Summit is a one-day, online conference about digital accessibility in higher education happening June 25, 2020, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. CDT.Join in to learn best practices, share stories and connect with your higher ed peers on topics including social media accessibility, web development, user experience and more. Sessions are designed to boost knowledge at every level, from accessibility beginners to technical experts. Conference registration is $25, with…See More
May 29, 2020
Erin Jorgensen is now a member of University Web Developers
May 29, 2020
Christine Boehler posted a discussion

HighEdWeb 2020 Annual Conference - ONLINE

October 19-20, 2020https://2020.highedweb.org/#HEWeb20     Join us ONLINE for HighEdWeb 2020, the conference created by and for higher education professionals across all departments and divisions. Together we explore and find solutions for the unique issues facing digital teams at colleges and universities. In 2020, the Conference will be held completely online, offering multiple tracks of streamed presentations, live…See More
May 3, 2020
Sara Arnold commented on Lynn Zawie's group OmniUpdate
"Throughout April, we're hosting webcasts exploring how colleges and universities across North America are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Register for the series today! https://bit.ly/2xsXhK9"
Apr 13, 2020
Christelle Lachapelle is now a member of University Web Developers
Apr 6, 2020
"Download our latest white paper to learn how the demographics of today’s higher ed learners are shifting, and how schools can adapt to meet the needs of these new learners. https://bit.ly/2wTKdgB"
Mar 31, 2020
"Join our next webcast with Amrit Ahluwalia from The EvoLLLution to learn about the new "modern learner" in higher education. https://bit.ly/2UuDh2I"
Mar 30, 2020
"As we ride out the latest developments and impact of the coronavirus, there's no better time than now to learn the three Bs of crisis planning. http://bit.ly/2ITVkc2"
Mar 16, 2020
"Is your college or university prepared to meet the challenges that come with disasters and emergencies like the coronavirus? Learn how your CMS can help. http://bit.ly/2TUZUM8"
Mar 12, 2020
"Can’t afford the time and money to launch a comprehensive guided pathways model? Register for our FREE webcast to learn tricks for simulating a digital guided pathways experience."
Feb 21, 2020
"With college enrollment decreasing for the 8th year in a row, boosting your college or university marketing efforts is more important than ever. Here's how to get started. http://bit.ly/2vTQAzz"
Feb 20, 2020

HighEdWeb 2020 Annual Conference

October 18-21, 2020 in Little Rock, Arkansas, USAhttps://2020.highedweb.org/#HEWeb20     Join us for HighEdWeb 2020, the conference created by and for higher education professionals across all departments and divisions. Together we explore and find solutions for the unique issues facing digital teams at colleges and universities. With 100+ diverse sessions, an outstanding keynote presentation, intensive workshops, and engaging networking events,…See More
Feb 19, 2020

HighEdWeb 2020 Call for Proposals is Open!

The 2020 Annual Conference of the Higher Education Web Professionals Association (HighEdWeb) will travel to Little Rock, Arkansas, this October 18-21 — and the call for proposals is now open! As a digital professional in higher education, we know you have great ideas and experiences to share. From developers, marketers and programmers to managers, designers, writers and all team members in-between, HighEdWeb provides valuable professional development for all who want to explore the unique…See More
Feb 14, 2020
Christine Boehler shared Sara Clark's discussion on Facebook
Feb 14, 2020
Christine Boehler is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 14, 2020
Brian Bell joined Kevin Daum's group
Feb 14, 2020
Brian Bell joined Mark Greenfield's group
Feb 14, 2020
Kenneth George is now a member of University Web Developers
Feb 13, 2020

UWEBD has been in existence for more than 10 years and is the very best email discussion list on the Internet, in any industry, on any topic

About

© 2021   Created by Mark Greenfield.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service