So, we started the university's central YouTube channel 8 months ago, and it has grown to some [not much!] prominence. Seems like folks around here are jumping on the video bandwagon, and gearing up to seriously produce & promote video content in 2009-2010.
However, now we are seeing individual schools/units create their own YouTube channels, not to intentionally snub the main university one, but without really thinking much about the pros/con of going it alone.
Pros for central channel:
- YouTube partner status, granting extended length, placement on YouTube.com/edu [individual schools/units can't get this, right?? Or can they??]
- Well branded & maintained, we have a full time people devoted to up keep
- Related content pulled from across main university channel, helps expose their material and introduce their viewers to items from across Emory
- Rising tide floats all boats, when one of our videos takes off, all videos get more views
- Updated with new content daily, so departments don't have to worry about getting new stuff up constantly
Pros for individual school/department channels:
- Direct control of uploading material
- Direct control of Insights/data on videos
- Do not have to include the University's 4sec intro and exits on video itself
- Don't think main University channel is interested in all of their material [generally not the case though!]
- Proclaims individual group's identity, so they don't have to be one in a rich sea of things going on at Emory
I definitely feel for the individual departments out there, but I think they are putting their needs ahead of the end users' overall experience. People in general don't think of Emory as a bunch of disparate groups, but rather a single entity [though someone like the Law School might prefer/see differently]
The point is to expose visitors to a vast array of Emory material, though I admit the lack of multiple logins to the University channel is a seriously limiting factor [and really annoying to manage].
How is YouTube structured at your university? Have we thought of all the factors here?